Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Should I Do With All My 1 Coins Once I Finish My Set?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 784Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  7:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I have been putting aside the best of what I can find in the lot I have. I plat on putting together 1-2 full sets from 26-2013, but after that I will be left with over 6000 1 cent coins(many pre steel or zinc)

I have noticed large lots of 1cent coins seem to sell for a premium(on ebay at least). Say I have 4-5000 1 cents left that are copper, would I be better off selling them in a lot? Or should I filter put all the premium verities? There is several 1965 LBP5 and 1949 A2D as well as several 1953 SF and a few 1954 NSF,(one I owe to merclover). Anyways would I be better off separating all the varieties or selling as a lot? Many if the older ones have no luster but also many still VF-XF+(this is not including my americain cents as I plan on keeping them all)

Edit: or should I re go through them all for possible doubled dies etc. At least 3-4000 I have yet to look under my microscope. As of late I maybe get 2-3 hours a week that I can use it due to my schedule, and it usually takes me 1-2 minutes per coin.

Double edit: unless I just keep them all the other options would be to out together 5-10 sets from 1937-2012 many of the late 1960s-1970s and 1980s are at lease BU-AU+ and 80s to 2012 there is definitely at least a few dozen MS cents that will be left over once I finish going through them. I may re go through my more modern 1990-2012 cence due to the fact there is definitely a few gems and many mid MS coins
Edited by Wrekkdd
10/26/2021 7:39 pm
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tattoo_Installer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would go back through them. You got'em might as well look through them. That's the fun part!!! Guess it's all preference. People are definitely buying older lots of coins from what I see. Since you haven't searched them you could always say unsearched but that term gets used rather loosely now days!
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tattoo_Installer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Y'all have some really neat coins in Canada too!! I wanna search through rolls just to look at them! Lol. I did just find a '73 Canadian dime in roll of American dimes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
627 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
6000 1 cent coins weigh around 15 kg. Selling them in bulk is cost prohibitive with the postage, unless you sell locally. If you have any extra higher grade older coins, you could sell them as a small lot or even individually online. I'm not sure if it's worth your time looking through them all for doubled dies. You may be able to do some trades with people as well. Also, sometimes people want to do an art project with cents.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4085 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
54 NSF ? That is a Prooflike only issue ( obverse is actually a Hi Relief
specimen die ) . They are quite scarce .
Pix please !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3616 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
take them back to the bank, where you got them, from..
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tattoo_Installer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes shipping a big lot wouldn't be cost effective. I should have mentioned that. I like looking through coins so I'd probably look and separate as I go. Or pick out what you want to sell or trade. Sky is the limit!
To put it plainly you have OPTIONS!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'm going to go with my last one, I will put as many sets together once I'm done with the last 1-2000. also think I may go through them all again(the ones I have not checked with my scope) and then they will make some great gifts for friends and co workers as well as members on here or for trade.

I would not bring them back to the bank ever as they would end up destroyed.
Valued Member
Canada
230 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I was thinking pacificoin. I would love to buy them if he had the 1954nsf one cent. Very hard coin to find well even the 53sf or the 49a2b coins as well.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted some of these coins in previous threads before I got my microscope. But I have posted a few varieties for clarification here when I was less knowledgeable. As for the 1954 NSF I could be wrong but I think I had seen at least one or two. I will confirm that after re going through them and sorting them(this will be fun for me) afterwards I think I will sell them for face value.

That's after putting aside a couple sets for myself. As for my spare verities I will also sell in those different sets as an extra coin(cost me 1 cents extra lol) I would rather these end up as pieces of history then be destroyed lol.

It will take me a while to sort through all of them again so I won't take any requests yet.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4085 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  12:24 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the 1954 NSF I assure you are not correct .
As stated very scarce and only found in a handful
of very early issued 1954 Prooflike sets .
Some quality pix will make me eat crow , but I
Doubt will see any .
Also would be kind of unusual finding many 1953 SF
or 1949 A to Denticles in the wild .
Especially roll hunting .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41961 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wrekkdd,
You have enough posts to sell/trade here on CCF as well as holding a few contests or giveaways . My address is....
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have posted a couple 49 A to denticle mind you in rough shape, I don't think iv come across any 48 though, iv definitely found more then 1 53sf as they are easy to spot though I can't remember if I ever posted. As for th 54, I'm sure if they are that scare and we're only in sets then I am probably mistaken.

@john1 I will probably put some sets together for contest giveaways as well:) I may trade as well but I don't think I'll sell any.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
654 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As for the 1954 NSF I could be wrong but I think I had seen at least one or two. I will confirm that after re going through them and sorting them(this will be fun for me) afterwards I think I will sell them for face value.

Let us know once you confirm. I've never found one in circulation.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will do but based on the fact they were only in sets I think it will be highly unlikely. I will definitely be able to put a 53 SF though and 49 A2D

Edit just checked some older threads of mine and I have already posted a 1953 SF and 49 A2D the 53 I posted was in fairly rough shape with green but I know I found more then 1, same with the 49.
Edited by Wrekkdd
10/27/2021 12:05 pm
Valued Member
Canada
77 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stogie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anything that is Elizabeth II, I would just take back to the bank and deposit into your account. These are extremely common coins, and unless it's a scarce and desirable variety (think 55 NSF), they aren't going to be worth more than face value...even the high grade ones may fetch a couple of bucks on a good day if you're lucky. Ditto the George VI cents, especially the circulated ones (which most likely they are).

My opinion is you'd be doing the hobby a favor, as once deposited into your account the bank will just send them back to the mint for ARP...really how many collectors are out there? And what kind of call do they have for coins like these? I'm sure there are still millions more of these coins than there are collectors who can absorb them all, and any dealer would probably tell you the same thing.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 784Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: