Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1934 Cent. First Upgrade.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,340Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2524 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  8:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So this one cost me 2.25(all prices I will ever post are Canadian or after exchange rate) it is in good shape but the luster seems to good, or it's a good upgrade from merclovers gift:) still need to finish searching the Lincoln cents She sent me. Life has been busy.

Edited by Wrekkdd
11/04/2021 10:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1097 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that looks like a nice red uncirculated coin ...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2524 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think It was a good snag for the price. I don't know what it should look like in AU+ and for the price seems questionable. Do you think the coin is authentic with the luster?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1097 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, an AU+ would have hints of wear, but what I see might be very slight camera jitter on the obverse. To me, the luster looks ok, slightly brown from storage somewhere.

According to coinsandcanada.com, an AU-50 is 5.60 CAD and MS-60 is 19.20, and a 63 is 85.70 estimated retail value. So my opinion is that was a good price.
Edited by mrwhatisit
11/04/2021 10:06 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12071 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  12:01 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does it have cartwheel luster or is it just shiny? It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks a little off to me.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2524 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems a bit to shiny, the condition looks good based on detail. What do you mean by cartwheel luster?
Valued Member
Canada
241 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks cleaned to me
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2524 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would definitely say not the cleaned colour of a normal cent, I was thinking more polished or something here is some photos with slightly different lighting. If the luster is real, even if cleaned I'm happy with this one for the price. My biggest worry was plated but the weight is spot on so I don't think it's plated..

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2524 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dark colour in those photos is reflection.

Edit:sorry for the not so great photo quality just woke up and my son did not let me sleep much. Super lazy so I ordered Tim Hortons this morning.

My fiance forgot to get us more coffee yesterday
Edited by Wrekkdd
11/05/2021 07:46 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2524 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realized I never actually asked for grading.

What would you grade this? Cleaned or polished?
Learn More...
Canada
10037 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What would you grade this? Cleaned or polished?

Both.. and I would not grade it at all. It is, and always will be, a problem coin.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64242 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, I'd have to agree.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2524 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured as much, so what do you guys think? Why so shiny yet not that much wear? If I took away all shine it would look like XF. The detail is there so what was done to the coin to make it shine like this?

Edit:auto correct spelling error.
Edited by Wrekkdd
11/08/2021 2:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4129 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What was added was a Dremel tool and a polishing brush or something similar. You will get as much "learning experience" from bad purchases as you do with studying references.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2524 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any way to return the coin back to it's normal state? There seems to be a fair amount of detail on the coin. The colour does not seem to off from the graded ones I see on ebay from ICCS this is an MS65 red? Is it real?

Here is the one I purchased(at a far to good price to be true I suppose) this is just with natural lighting. If this is an altered coin what stands out the most and is the best way to catch them? I see no polishing marks or tool marks. Weight 3.24g

I just want to know exactly what to watch out for. I can't see what's off about the coin my self and do not doubt you guys are right. I know if it's to good to be true it almost always is, but I'm sure times people get lucky lol. What should I look for?

Edit:posted the ebay listing as MS 64 not 65.
Edited by Wrekkdd
11/08/2021 3:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
507 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the original photos the fields go from dark brown to shiny. That would be a type of polishing imo. The second photo you provided of your coin looks more convincing to me (harder to tell). I would also like to know the tells as I am no expert by any means.
RCNA Member

There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: