Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Series 1935A Silver Certificates With R And S Special Markings

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 503Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
150 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  4:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all. Newbie here.

I am doing a little research on a related topic, and I wonder if anyone knows the answers to a couple of questions I have regarding the 1935A silver Certificates with special markings R and S.

Letters R or S in red, were used as overprints on some US $1 Silver Certificates of Series 1935A to identify, it is said, printing on regular paper, marked R; and to test an alternative paper stock, marked S for Special paper.
Is this the correct meaning of the letters R and S?

My understanding is that these notes were conceived in early 1944, and delivered on 20 June 1944. Is this correct, and is it recorded on what exact date the notes were conceived?

Also, is it known when the notes actually first entered circulation? I have not been able to find any reference to this.

Any insights would be most welcome.
I have searched extensively on this, and the above is what I have learned about the note issues.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67595 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your information is exactly what I have read. As I understand it, no conclusive results were reached from the experiment, at least as far as we know (Schwartz and Lindquist, US Small Size Paper Money).
Edited by Coinfrog
11/07/2021 4:38 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
150 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found all of this on line from the usual sources, but I cannot find any reference to when the notes entered circulation.

I have a 15 (or so) year old book on small size currency, and will have a look in it further.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3641 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Released on June 20th 1944 and issued into circulation to test their durability, 1935A $1 Silver Certificates with a bright red capital "R" (regular) and "S" (special) printed on the face, failed to deliver distinguishable results because of the lack of circulation. Rather than spending notes and keeping them circulating, John Q Citizen evidently decided to retain these notes as curios. A total of 2,368,000 notes were printed which is less than 1% of the total 1935A $1 SCs printed. You often see these sold as pairs. Be aware of the serial number ranges because unscrupulous sellers have been known to take regular 1935A $1 S-C block notes and stamp them with a red R or S.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67595 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good info, Stever.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
150 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for that. (Very annoying when the test population doesn't behave in a random manner when one is running a test!).

I had a pair in my collection at one time, but I guess I must have sold them when I pruned my US notes as I couldn't find them more recently. Bummer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3641 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll volunteer photos of mine to help enhance this educational thread.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67595 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for these!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
150 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for those!
I will buy another pair sometime when I see them on offer at a reasonable price (postage from the US is real killer on ebay these days with all the sellers using Global Ship Prog).

My current interest is in the nature of the printing process of the R and S marks. Specifically if they were printed before or after the main printing process. They are referred to as overprints, but is it actually known if they are true overprints?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
150 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jamie Yakes gave a talk on the R and S Experimentals in 2018 as part of the IPMS Lecture series in Kansas, MI. I saw the video of that in Nov 2020, but can't find it now (I did keep an offline copy though).
That I cannot find the link doesn't mean that it isn't there anymore! Would anyone have a link to it by any chance?

This talk is the source of my background information on the R and S notes.

EDIT: Found it!
R_c2bW6oFnc
Edited by Orac
11/08/2021 10:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3641 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent video @Orac, thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
150 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few more of these videos from the shows that I came across when I was re-finding this one on the R and S Experimentals today, including one on Hawaii note issues including overprints for WW2. It is slightly off-topic, but gives good coverage of the WW2 era notes.

WPaivGwKdGg

I sure miss attending the Coin and Paper money Fairs in person. Might get things going again soon though!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 503Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: