Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone Identify The Class Of These Shortcross Pennies?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 431Next Topic  
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  04:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MHGBC to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello

Just looking for some help in identifying the class of these shortcross pennies if anyone is knowledgeable about these coins?

Also what is the best indicator of class on these coins that I should look out for?

Thankyou

Bedrock of the Community
United States
44629 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
112160 Posts
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MHGBC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou guys! what a nice welcoming forum : )
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44629 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone in the know will be along soon to help you.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United Kingdom
407 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not an expert but this website will help: https://www.rodblunt.com/short-cross-pennies-2

I would guess they are John, class 5 or 6, because of the hair curls (2 on each side), 5-pellet crown, good chin and neat beard with central pellet. Both seem to be from the London mint.

The 2 curls and cross pattée initial mark put them class 5b, 5c, 6a, 6b or 6c1.

The X in Rex seems to rule out 6a1 and 5c, and the eyes rule out 6c. The beards look neat with vertical whiskers, so not 6b. That leaves 5b1-3 and 6a2.

The one on the left has a normal S and round-topped R, so could be class 5b2.

The one on the right is missing useful bits of the legend, but the large pellets on the crown suggest 5b2 as well.
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MHGBC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John : )

That website looks great, il have to have a good read through it and hopefully get better at identifying classes of shortcross pennies!

Agree with what you say from looking at the website but still not 100% confident I can pin them down to an exact class yet
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MHGBC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there anyone out there who can identify these two coins? : )
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 431Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: