Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Grading, 1942 New Zealand Florin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 334Next Topic  
Australia
27 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  11:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add totty to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone.
Recently found this beautiful florin in an old box of commonwealth and world coins I'd mostly forgotten about. It's a potentially valuable coin in higher grades so would appreciate your well-founded opinions!

I was thinking AU-55 Sheldon but I'm quite inexperienced!

Thanks in advance!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3343 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photo is a bit hazy, but from what I can see, I would say VF - EF

Need a clearer photo, preferably with a less hazy background. There is light wear on Kiwi's thigh and some on George's hair. This probably a Bare EF - but need to see it sharper.

I am assuming AU55 is the American grading, I would grade well south of this - more like XF40.

These coins are scarce in higher grades though and your coin is a better example, however it lacks lustre which seems strange.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Australia
27 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add totty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the quick reply.
Sorry about the photos, they were taken on my phone. Because of this, I edited them a little- hence the lack of luster and almost 'cleaned' appearance.
Anyway, I got the canon out and took these. Unedited, and still not the best photos sorry, but my camera is quite old!

Valued Member
Australia
405 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sheldon AU55

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19359 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't let the lack of hair detail on the King put you off.
The hair detail on scarce 1942 Australian Melbourne threepences in EF is even more notoriously poorer.

Princetane's opinion is the one worth seeking out in this case.
Barely EF seem about right to me.

Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65? - where is the color?.
Edited by radars_teddy
11/13/2021 11:19 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3343 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sticking by my diagnosis, hair wear and flattening.
Lovely obverse, the kiwi looks really sharp.

Willing to say full EF - that is a good coin for a pretty hard date. Many NZ silver coins are common in Good to Fine, EF examples like yours are rare.

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
11/14/2021 9:00 pm
Australia
27 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add totty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 334Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: