Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Question For Our Australian Friends

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 241Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1337 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  10:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm trying to update my Australian dollars / 2 dollars collection for 2020 and 2021. How does anyone know what is released for circulation and what isn't? Are these Wiggles coins circulation or just NCLT? Can someone list all the circulation dollars and two dollars for 2020 and 2021 for me? And do you guys have a special name for the $2 coins, like Canada calls then twoonies?

Thanks!
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
Three from each country (up to 416!)
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, Capital Plastics Fine or better, Dansco Fine or better, Dansco any x3, and Coin Board for wall display, any grade. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$1 coins

100 years of QANTAS
Donation dollar
supposedly there is a mob of roos but I've never found one in circulation

A-Z (yes there are 26 of them)

$2 coins (We just call them two dollar coins)

Aboriginal elder
Women's T20 (cricket)
75 years since end of WW2
Firefighters
Tokyo Olympics (6 coins including paralypics)

Aboriginal elder
Indigenous Military Service
Ambulance
Wiggles (4 coins) I've only found "Captain Feathersword" so far

I think that's all of them. At the rate the RAM is churning them out these days it's hard to keep track (and interest)

Good luck finding them over where you are!

Edited by MachinMachinMan
11/14/2021 12:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1034 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jgfindring, I see that MachinMachinMan has alredy answered your query but, for future reference, you can always do a serach in the numista catalog which Brismike always keeps current. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?ct=coin

Just set the Edit filters to 'Standard circulation coin' and 'Circulating commemorative coin'.

Edited by coaster
11/14/2021 01:48 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1337 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to you both! Just the info I needed!
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
Three from each country (up to 416!)
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, Capital Plastics Fine or better, Dansco Fine or better, Dansco any x3, and Coin Board for wall display, any grade. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Learn More...
Australia
14014 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And do you guys have a special name for the $2 coins, like Canada calls then twoonies?

Not really, no. Australians are normally good at spontaneously inventing and propagating slang, and had nicknames for all the old predecimal coins (eg. trey, zac, deener and "two bob" for the 3d, 6d, 1/- and 2/- respectively), but none of their decimal replacements have ever acquired a nickname; coin collectors call the regular-design $1 coin the "mob of roos", but nobody else calls them that. We just call them "one dollar coins" and "two dollar coins".

The non-commemorative design of our $2 coin features an Aboriginal elder, and a native grasstree whose common name is also a racist slur; I'd reckon any nickname assigned to the $2 coin would either end up being a racist slur, or would end up becoming one.

We'd certainly never call them "twoonies"; that's a peculiarly Canadian invention, derived as it is from "loonie" becoming the slang for the $1 coin as it depicts a loon bird.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 241Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: