Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Am Wondering Where Collectors Get Their Boxes Of Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 491Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
63 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  5:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rkennedy1945 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been wanting to order boxes of pennies and quarters but my bank limits me to one roll per type. Any suggestions. Did you have to talk to someone special to get yours? Can you order circulated and uncirculated? Do you have problems getting all new and the same dates and mints? That is all I have been getting from my bank. 2021-D Pennie's and quarters all the same.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy whole boxes of wheaties on EBay! I try to make sure they are sealed boxes and I try to make sure before purchase they are in fact wheat pennies seeing through the holes in most boxes! When I can't afford a full box I do like you and buy 1 roll at a time from different websites but eBay is my preferred sight and try to buy from different regions so I get a mixture of coins! When I get a GOOD roll from a seller, I'll buy several next round and see if it was just a fluke or really UNSEARCHED! When I'm I Broke-Broke or the BOSS (wife) says my budget is exhausted I go to the banks and ask for CIRCULATED rolls of pennies and once in a while get a
Few wheaties! I also on occasion put ad in my local classified to buy rolls of wheat pennies for $5.00 a roll and I usually get calls to meet somewhere (never at home) to pickup coffee can full sometimes! Doing that I have a few sellers that call me randomly they found some more and I'll go pick them up! It's hit and miss buddy.GOOD LUCK! Sarge
Edited by Sarge50
11/17/2021 5:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6796 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like most things in life, it all depends. The larger the number of different banks in your area, the greater the chance of being able to purchase boxes. Also, it really helps to have an account at a bank that seems to have a good supply of coins. Consider opening an account and a second (different) bank. Boxes can be mostly circulated, or mostly (if not all new) fresh from mint/federal reserve commercial distribution services. Usually, box contents--over time--are widely diverse.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16534 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , maybe your not a steady customer of your bank or hardly make any transactions . It's hit or miss , some banks will sell boxes to you and some will not ; Whether you have an account with them or not .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
Canada
269 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here in Canada I was able to buy boxes by a) having a business account (some businesses need coins to conduct business) and by going to main or large branches in commercial districts. Ask nicely and be patient; they order to meet their coin needs and if you explain your wants or needs, most will find a way to at least partially accommodate you
Valued Member
Canada
181 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also in Canada. So far I've never been turned away with less than 30 rolls. I work in different small towns so I'm lucky enough to get coins from different regions too. Always be very friendly and courteous. I event grabbed $100 in pennies that there weren't supposed to sell me but I promised I wouldn't bring them back.
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not buying into the whole "coin shortage". There are signs at my bank stating there is a coin shortage but I get boxes of every denomination no problem. It can depend on your location of course.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2715 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In certain places I have been lately there has been signs of the shortage but in my area I am in there is plenty of coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2544 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some banks in Canada will sell me a box no questions asked. My current main bank I had to sit down with the branch manager and arrange for them to order boxes for me. At first they were confused and pushed me to open a business account,I explained I'm not a business I'm a collector which was confusing to tellers. The branch manager called me aside one day and asked me if I wanted to start ordering boxes rather then grabbing all the customer rolls in the till. Now I can go in Tuesday to have the box ordered for Thursday or go in Friday to order a box for Tuesday.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4221 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2021  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I did was call a bunch of different banks to find out if they would order for me. I ended up with no less than six banks at one time that would either order, let me buy off the coin counter, or would sell me customer-rolled. Don't ask to buy circulated or non-circulated, they'll either laugh or sound confused. You get what you get. Be sure and set up a couple dump banks also depending on your volume searched. Try and dump outside your district so that you aren't searching the same coins over and over again. Coin doesn't come from the Fed reserve, but from local couriers such as Brinks that roll and deliver coin to banks.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
1055 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can only get $50 of quarters once a month were I am. There are no other types available (they don't have any), and they limit the quarters because the laundromats need them. Vending machines would take anything but credit cards. They don't have dollar coins to spit back out. It depends on your area.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 491Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: