Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 1996 National Community Service

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 248Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6987 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2021  10:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The 1996 National Community Service commemorative silver dollar was a one-coin program that was authorized in the 103rd Congress and signed into law by US President William "Bill" Clinton on September 29, 1994. The coin was issued "to commemorate students who volunteer to perform community service." (Public Law 103-328, Section 205)

The Community Service dollar was just one of five new commemorative coin programs to be included within the broad scope of PL 103-328. The others were the 1995 Special Olympics silver dollar, the 1998 Robert F. Kennedy silver dollar, the 2002 US Military Academy (West Point) silver dollar and the 1997 US Botanic Gardern silver dollar.

The obverse design presents a standing figure of Lady Liberty. In her right hand, she supports a book (symbolic of learning and discovery) with the Lamp of Knowledge on top of it; rays of light emanate from the sun in the background, directly behind the flame of the Lamp. With her left hand, Liberty supports an oval-shaped US Shield.

The coin's reverse is largely commemorative inscriptions within a laurel wreath.

1996 National Community Service Silver Dollar

The designs are adaptations of the designs used on the medal created by Frances Grimes in 1905 for the Women's Auxiliary of the Massachusetts Civil Service Reform Association while working under the direction/supervision of Augustus St. Gaudens in his studio. (The medal was awarded to students who won a sponsored essay contest for essays on Civil Service Reform.) The coin's adapted obverse design is the work of US Mint Sculptor-Engraver Thomas D. Rogers; the coin's reverse design was prepared by US Mint Sculptor-Engraver William C. Cousins.

Here's the original Women's Auxiliary presentation medal for comparison:

1905 Women's Auxilary Medal by Augustus St. Gaudens

(Image Credit: Stacks-Bowers Galleries, November 2017 Baltimore Auction, Lot 168. Fair use.)

The coin was available for purchase in Proof and Uncirculated versions, as well as a part of a Coin & Stamp Set; the Set included a Proof version of the dollar (the Set will be my focus in a future post).

The Proof version of the silver dollar had an issue price of $37 ($33 Pre-issue); the Unirculated prices was set at $32 ($30 Pre-Issue). The program was authorized to strike up to 500,000 silver dollars, but sales amounted to just 25% of this figure. The Proof coin sold 101,543 coins across all options, while total sales of the Uncirculated coin amounted to 23,500. Combined, the total mintage for the program was 125,043.

The issue price for each coin included a $10 surcharge that was collected on behalf of the National Community Service Trust "for the purpose of funding innovative community service programs at American universities, including the service, research, and teaching activities of faculty and students involved in such programs." (Public Law 103-328, Section 205) In total, the Trust received approximately $1.25 million in surcharge funds.

For other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2014 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2021  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The St. Gaudens medal is a wonderful piece. I didn't realize that was the inspiration for this dollar.

This is one of the U.S. Mint offerings that I passed on when issued - funds were more limited in those days and I had to pick & choose what I purchased. I opted for the Smithsonian at the time. I've been getting some of the commemoratives that I missed since, but still haven't picked up this particular example.

Thank you for your posts and research!
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Learn More...
United States
107962 Posts
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty cool. It is on my "To get list."
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7430 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting indeed - I enjoy the comparison to the lovely 1905 medal. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 248Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: