Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Sent Twelve Modern Coins To PCGS And Now In Encapsulation Does That Mean Something?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,500Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
362 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  2:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
To all of you guys who have been tolerating my blurry pictures and there have been several extremely helpful members, I want to say thank you. This may be premature but I sent 5 1973-d's , 2-1966's, 1-1968-p, 2-1969-d's, 1-1971-p and 1-1975-d. The thing is I designated minimum acceptable grade as ms-67. If two make it then I have my moneys' worth. I realize that encapsulation does not necessarily mean any made it! These coins were pristine (which my opinion means nothing to PCGS). For better or worse, I will post results soon.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64242 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're always looking to see new TPG holders!
Valued Member
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm looking forward to the results.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5306 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64242 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you've made quite an investment. Were any of these coins that you showed here on the CCF?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42745 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

[/Sounds like you've made quite an investment. Were any of these coins that you showed here on the CCF?]

No I don,t think I sent any of those, I did however send 24 moderns last week. The 1972-s (with very bad pictures but I assure you there were no hairlines or hidden marks) the 1982 copper small date and the 1982-d zinc small date that pictures were posted. I was told by many wise collectors it will cost money to learn. I had saved for two years to reach a grand and that's what I spent on all these submissions. My logic was to use these as learning tools for future submissions in addition to the hundreds of hours I read and searched for recorded pictures of ms-66 and 67 Lincolns. I have never been more determined to learn something in my life. With only a small sample size to base this assumption, I have surmised that most awesome experienced members on the forum who have been giving their best guess at a grade tend to lean on the conservative side. I figured it's better to give a conservative answer than for me than to get my hopes up. Understandable and appreciated. Listen most people feel obligated to say thank you ,but in this case I really mean it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7442 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best of wishes with those grades - look forward to learning what PCGS says.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4587 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll wait till the results until I comment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1257 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another way to learn is to buy already slabbed coins. I've paid as little as $1 for slabbed MS examples that graded lower than the submitter hoped, but which provide me with grade references.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64242 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, pictures are not a good way to learn how to grade uncirculated coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16474 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't be so quick in sending in Common date Lincoln Memorial Cents until you have a better grading knowlege . Dosen't make sence to send in 12 coins and hope that at least 2 of them come back 67 . You'll be wasting a lot of submission money .
From what I can make of your posts so far ,the last month or so your trying to move too fast with sending coins to TPG and hoping for the best . In my honest opinion that is not the best way to go about obtaining a gem collection . Also I forgot if you ever told us ,but are you getting these coins from CRH or OBW rolls ? Yes it makes a big difference .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4587 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look I wasn't going to comment, but you keep making the same mistakes over and over. Like I posted before, stop wasting your money on sending in common date coins for certification. From what I've seen you're grading skills are not there. You are just throwing money away. Even if 2 of the 7 come back as MS67, these are common date coins.

Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

[/I wouldn't be so quick in sending in Common date Lincoln Memorial Cents until you have a better grading knowlege . Dosen't make sence to send in 12 coins and hope that at least 2 of them come back 67 . You'll be wasting a lot of submission money .
From what I can make of your posts so far ,the last month or so your trying to move too fast with sending coins to TPG and hoping for the best . In my honest opinion that is not the best way to go about obtaining a gem collection . Also I forgot if you ever told us ,but are you getting these coins from CRH or OBW rolls ? Yes it makes a big difference . ]

[/Look I wasn't going to comment, but you keep making the same mistakes over and over. Like I posted before, stop wasting your money on sending in common date coins for certification. From what I've seen you're grading skills are not there. You are just throwing money away. Even if 2 of the 7 come back as MS67, these are common date coins.]

Both of you guys have been unbelievably helpful and I hope you comment on everything I post ( I do Listen and think about what you guys say]

Several of you have given sound advice and I feel you genuinely have my best interest at heart. I guess I left out important details that will at least put things in a better perspective.

I graduated college at 22 like most people that went to college, nothing sarcastic intended (I am telling you this to roughly let you how old I am) I am going on 40 years at the same profession. I only say this because I don't know how much personal info is allowed on the forum. At my age and doing the math I figure 8 good years left possibly 20 but I am a realist. Before I joined the forum I had read and studied everything I could put my hands on except talk to people like you guys. Rest assured I am not coin roll hunting, everything I have searched comes from OBW rolls. I have googled and searched ebay for over 100 hours finding pictures PCGS graded 66 and 67 coins. I have searched over 1000 rolls to find 30 coins to submit. It's been 18 months since I have been serious about learning. Believe me I have learned my lesson about the correct color progression. Think of it this way what's harder buy ms-66 and 67 coins already graded (that's taking the the easy way out) or actually find them yourself from a denomination still possible and have PCGS say yes you did it. I enjoy the challenge and hope all of you keep me grounded (somewhat). The absolute biggest problem I have is posting sharp pictures. It would cost me more for a good camera than all the submission fees I have dished out. All the money I have spent wouldn't buy one decent double eagle or 10 bu indian head pennies. Sorry I am long winded but spend a few minutes on ebay trying to find 66 and 67 Lincolns from the late 50's thru 1982 (some years easy other years none available). I don't want to wait 4 years to complete my mission. I have learned so much from you guys now I will find out just how far I have come. How much does an education cost these days over 5000$ per semester of college. Look I don't want to throw money away. I have hooked up with a guy whose has over 2 million pennies in obw Lincoln rolls and an ebay store to sell a few to feed my habit. LOL anyway keep giving me sound advice I am listening maybe painfully slow

Edited by grospoisson
11/23/2021 6:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4587 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on your numbers your 10 years older than me, I've looking at coins since I was 7 so 45 years and while I still get it wrong most times I am usually in the ball park and I wouldn't grade a coin unless there is some upside possible. Your doing common coins that are hard to see the upside. I agree spending $5000 for an education is cheap but getting a good camera would let us help you more in the long run. Look you seem like a really nice guy and I understand where you are going but sometimes it's make sense to listen to others. T-Bop has double the experience I have and if he agrees with me that's usually means it's probably good to listen to us. And hey I get it wrong sometimes also. I thought this was at least XF 45 and would straight grade.

This one I expected a high grade and MS69 is pretty high.

Edited by hfjacinto
11/23/2021 7:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16474 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have hooked up with a guy whose has over 2 million pennies in obw Lincoln rolls and an ebay store to sell a few to feed my habit

As a collector of OBW Lincolns I'm glad to hear you are obtaining your coins from those rolls , your bound to find a few MS-67's .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,500Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: