Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Toner Tuesday 2020 D (Cent)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 312Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
89 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  06:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Golden Beauty. I've found a couple of gold toned shield cents from obw rolls as roll enders. I've never seen one like this it takes the cake

If you'd like to see videos they are on Instagram @shieldcentmatt
If you'll comment AT of environmental damage
1st- In videos luster flows perfectly with the toning
2nd- color progression is spot on when compared to a toned color chart for coins
3rd- clearly no signs of environmental damage at all and clearly no sign of heat fire damage as well
4th- AT no signs of that either
5th- the spots you'll see are from the wash when they cleaned the planchets this common on most shield cents that the wash doesn't fully come off the Planchet

*** Edited by Staff to Add Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
4218 Posts
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glue residue
In hand it's clearly not glue residue u know what that looks like that would be obvious. I've posted videos on my Instagram and there is a upclose one with a loupe. Instagram is shieldcentmatt check out the second video in the post it's close up and 100% not glue residue
Pillar of the Community
Canada
627 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can you tell the coin wasn't heated?
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Cdncoins
How can I tell it's not heated?
That would be like saying how can you tell Mechanical Doubling from a doubled die simple.
I've tried heating shield cents up before flame right to the coin or letting it hover over the coin inches away there is clear damage always seen when it is heated very clear to notice. I've got a up close video on my Instagram yet again @shieldcentmatt check it outs. No evidence that seen that would make one think heat damaged it at all.

Also try to tone a shield cent like this yourself you won't get it bc I've found other goldish toners like this in obw of the same date 2020, 2021 etc ofc but it only affected the fields a bit still noticeable. PCGS in the future for sure
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And I'd like to add as well shield cents are so different from the Pennie's that we've know 2009 and below. They are so different. Design wise the die design used on the front it changes everything. Looking at memorials you don't see them looking like shield cents in original bank wrapped rolls bc the design is more robust so it affected the Planchet and how it looks more compared to a shield cent. They are very different and it's a new era of the penny we need to forget everything we know about the penny.
When we think about anything doubled dies or toners thinking about what we've seen in the past won't help bc the shield cent is a completely different penny. We've got rethink everything we know about the penny and restart fresh at 2010.
Just a little rant not really specific to my post but it make sense and I've always thought about this and I always say this. I'm a very niche collector on a modern modern coin and this is all I collect I do want to start writing some little papers educational tools bc I've seen a lot like comparing them to memorial doubled dies etc milt eh same at all. Evrythjng is different about it
Pillar of the Community
United States
1590 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
congrats on your find, looks like a cupholder coin to me, but if you like it, so be it :)
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seen plenty of cup holder coins this isn't one of those check out my videos clearly not that
Pillar of the Community
United States
1590 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll pass on the instagram and all that social media stuff, but good luck to ya! I am happy you are happy with the hobby though whatever your interest is!

Edited by Big-Kingdom
11/23/2021 2:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4218 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17241 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I disagree. This is not toning, it's chemical damage.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4218 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry, I disagree. This is not toning, it's chemical damage

I agree with this assessment by BadThad.
Something was poured on this coin. Something with a thick viscosity. the event horizon if the 'toning' is to perfect to be natural toning.

Also note that it is contained within the rim of the coin as if the rim acted as a dam holding in the stuff - Notice that the 'toning stops right AT the rim but does not go over it or past it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
627 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies for the lighting. This is my toned, albeit artificially, LSC. The colours are hard to capture with my camera. I heated the coin up in a toaster oven. There wasn't any damage, but I did get some nice vivid colours in the light. I'm not saying your toners aren't legit, I just personally wouldn't pay a premium for them when I can make my own at home.

Pillar of the Community
United States
684 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  03:15 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this toning is pretty cool!

But looking at the color progressions, I agree with Dearborn, something with high viscosity was poured onto this coin and later removed to reveal the toning.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3633 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is the result of a liquid hitting the coin and chemically altering the color. As said, if you like it, great. To me, its just a damaged spender.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea I noticed now I was wrong now that I see it from the correct viewpoint my previous comments make me look crazy and dumb lol just how my brain is sometimes it'll be used for educational purposes on AT toning thanks guys
Edited by gorham_collector
11/24/2021 2:51 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 312Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: