Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882 H Large Cent Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 287Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1095 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  11:46 pm Show Profile   Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thinking my coin matches the example on Coins & Canada website for the Large "H" over Small "H".

Is there a premium on this variety? Pictures later if there is an interest. And if there is another example to see for this, can you please add the link.

THANKS
Valued Member
Canada
139 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does this help? Not in my charlton.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1095 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  12:19 am  Show Profile   Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Canada
139 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours looks like it to me. Might be a small premium. Couldn't find one on eBay.
Another pic on this link.

http://www.canadiancoin.com/varieties/BR_Page3.asp
Edited by Fefimo
11/25/2021 12:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1095 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  12:22 am  Show Profile   Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4020 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The H/H mintmark for Heaton is normal for 1882. I will quote from Jack Griffin's book (Griffin was the Grandad of all the Vicky variety numismatists that would follow). As I have as well, he looked at thousands and thousands of 1882's and he has in writing, in his paragraph before the 1882 section: "There are supposed to be some 1882H cents without the small H under the normal H, but I have never found one, although some only show a slight hint of the small H". The Heaton mint may have modified the Reverse master to clean up the H, as were all the old 1876 dies. Just like the Obverse used old 1876 dies to make the 1881 and initial 1882 Obv dies with full serifs on the N's by repunching, they may have done it to the mintmark on the Reverse as well to clean it up and used the wrong font.

This is another example to show that you can't believe everything in the CoinsandCanada website. The varieties and errors there are posted by ordinary collectors and they can name it or describe it any way they want, including scarcity and/or value. The CaC site is a very good reference to be used only in conjunction with other research material. The site is riff with mistakes and false info.

So, no, the only 1882 that may have a small premium is a coin with no trace of H/H. Yours is just like the rest.
Edited by okiecoiner
11/25/2021 11:07 am
Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
United States
1095 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great information. I learned something new today! Makes sense why you don't see any posted for sale H over H.
Edited by HoosierDaddy
11/25/2021 11:16 am
Valued Member
Canada
139 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks okiecoiner. Would explain why I couldn't find anything in the charlton.
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It should be remembered that repunchings of letters or digits are by no means unique to dies. It can and did happen in matrices. If it happened in a matrix and was not corrected later, then it would be carried over to every die that ultimately traced to that matrix. That is what happened with the H mintmark in the 1882H cent reverse matrix. That the double H is easier or harder to see on some coins is referable to the amount of polishing the die received in the workup or the amount of wear the die had received at the point the coin was struck from it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4020 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What Hax just said was what I was referring to in my initial post above but didn't say it clear enough. Most collectors always lok at the Obverse of the '81's and '82's to see how much doubling and repunching that you can see and don't bother with the Reverse. The H/H resulted from a correction to the master, matrix or submatrix, if there was one. All of the H/H looked the same initially but normal die wear and polishing removed the less fully struck small H of the mismatched font.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
562 Posts
 Posted Today  21H 10M ago  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photo on C&C is so bad you can't tell what it is. As for Fefimo's, there is something there but it doesn't resemble an H, vertically or horizontally. Try and form an H from those 2 lines, can't do it. Looks more like clash or toolmarks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4020 Posts
 Posted Today  14H 47M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a small H under there. I've looked at thousands of them and the small H in a different font under the large H sometimes just looks weird because, as Hax states, polishing the dies and removing the less fully struck small H a bit at a time. What you see in the OP's coin is the top L & R serifs of the small H almost joined together.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 287Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: