Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Many Nations Do You Own

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 261Next Topic  
Germany
12 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  12:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dispargum to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I started my banknote collection, my first intend was to collect one banknote from as many countries as possible.

First I started with the UN-Members list of 193 nations and tried to obtain the actual banknote at that time.
Getting deeper and deeper into the hobby, I extend this to obsolet nations too and finally ended up with the 3 editions of the SCWPM (Standard World Paper Money Catalogue, know as Pick or Krause catalogues).

I suppose that there are 319 actual and former countries or nations listed in these three catalogues.

There are some more countries more or less approved nations and there are nations included which could be dicussed.
I do NOT mean fantasy (Antartica,Beringa, Kamberra, Maya etc.) or obscure Islands as Chatham, Jason, Pitcairn with their novelity notes. And I do NOT count novelety notes which were issued in Andorra, Wales or BVI and other "real" countries. Only these notes, which are included in the mentioned catalogues.

To make things more easier, I would like to know, how many Pick or Krause nations do you have in your collection, documented by at least one banknote?

This propaganda note of Khalistian is NOT in the catalogue and does not count for my question, but is a nice addition for my own country collection.
Valued Member
Netherlands
66 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lighthouse250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'd have to count Andorra though. There's a chapter of The Banknote Book on notes from there. My software says 204 but that includes notes from eg. Spitsbergen, Memel territory, Liechtenstein and also lists both German Notgeld and Austrian Notgeld as separate "countries". Germany itself comes in three flavours: "Germany" (Weimar republic and 1990-2002), "Bundesrepublik" and " DDR". Then I still have a few notes from German East Africa. If you'd want to discount all of these, probably 190 for me.

But hey: Pick / Krause is history. It's a discontinued product.
Edited by Lighthouse250
11/25/2021 3:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1491 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Numista account reports that I have 84 countries but my goal was never to collect one banknote from each country. I also don't record every note I own on Numista since stats like this are irrelevant to me.

My goal was originally to seek collectible banknotes. My criteria for collectible was primary tough signature, year, prefix or serial number (low or special) & exclusively AU to UNC. However, as I proceeded I loosened up my criteria to include odd denominations, QEII notes, commemoratives, cool designs (select themes) & just notes I thought would be popular. After participating on 5 or 6 forums I feel like I have acquired a better feel for what people like to collect but this is always evolving.

Incidentally, Numista currently registers 231 countries on their Banknote catalogue (which is still being revised & added to). Here's a link to the Numista topic of the challenge to collecting one coin from each country:
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic113171.html
Edited by walk2dwater
11/25/2021 8:23 pm
Germany
12 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dispargum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Lighthouse250:

Yes, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Memel and Monaco are Pick-Countries and count therefore, though they had only "Notgeld" (emergency currency) at the time. As well as San Marino, using Mini Assegni as coin replacement in the late 1970'ths.

Spitzbergen or also named Svalbard is not a Pick Country.

In Pick-Terms Germany consisted of German States (mainly pre 1870), Germany, the former West Germany and East Germany. Some other Pick-countries belonging to Germany: German East Africa, German South West Africa, German New Guinea, Kiau Chau, Memel, Danzig, Bohemia & Moravia and Saar.

Yes, the Pick-Catalogues are history but they will still be accompany us for some time.

But congrats. 204 countries build up a massive collection!

By the way. Liechtenstein is an easy country to complete. The had only three pieces of Notgeld.

There are only six nations of todays world who never officially issued some sort of paper money: Kiribati, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau and Tuvalu. The Marshall Islands are also missing in the Pick Catalogues.

Some others are part of a currency zone or union and could be identified by a letter printed on the banknotes.
Germany
12 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dispargum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@walk2dwater:

I can imagine that the discussion of issuing countries in terms of coins is much wilder. There are many more former states or colonies, obsolete dependencies and micronations issuing coins. This would only be topped in terms of stamps.
Learn More...
Australia
13923 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  02:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My collection is not banknotes-focussed - I have 1039 notes in a numismatic collection of 14208 items - but those notes come from 181 "countries".

Some caveats in the counting:
- There are a couple of Notgeld entities in the list. Not German cities (which are all filed under the country "Zz Notgeld zZ", which isn't included in the country count), but places like Upper Austria and Trieste
- Mexican Revolutionary War states are listed as separate countries; there's at least half a dozen of them.
- Japanese Invasion Money are listed as five separate countries, one for each language/currency region.
- No-longer-existing countries, such as Texas, Netherlands New Guinea and German East Africa, are listed as separate countries. As a main focus of my banknote collection is "countries that never got around to issuing coins" (like Texas), this category is perhaps more over-represented than normal.
- If a country changes name (eg. New Hebrides became Vanuatu), the two names will usually be listed as separate "countries". Exception: if the language on the note is entirely in non-Latin script. Eg. I don't list "Siam" and "Thailand" separately; they're both "Thailand".
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Germany
12 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  03:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dispargum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Sap:

Yes, there are many things for discussion in that Pick-Catalogues.

Siam and Thailand counted for two countries. As well as Ceylon/Sri Lanka, Burma/Myanmar, British Honduras/Belize, Nigeria/Biafra, Belgian Congo/Congo Rep/Zaire/Katanga, Congo DR, Malvinas/Falklands, French Afars/Djibouti, USA/Hawaii/Texas, Iran/Iranian Azerbaijan, Canada/Newfoundland, Quatar/Qatar&Dubai,Rhodesia/Rhodesia&Nyasaland, Rwanda/Rwanda-Burundi, Samoa/Western Samoa, Saudi Arabia/Hejaz, Somalia/Somaliland, Morocco/Tangier, Malaysia/Straits Settlements, Russia/Tartastan/Tannu Tuwa, Russia/Soviet Union (No Pick-country), Tanzania/Zanzibar, China/Tibet, Moldavia/Transnistria and so on...

China consists of 5 entries, Russia of 10.

I would like to know, how the Krause Coin Catalogue differs these cases?
Valued Member
Netherlands
66 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lighthouse250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can imagine that the discussion of issuing countries in terms of coins is much wilder. There are many more former states or colonies, obsolete dependencies and micronations issuing coins. This would only be topped in terms of stamps.

Ehm, no. Coins have been around for at least 2000 years longer than stamps :)
Germany
12 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dispargum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Ehm, no. Coins have been around for at least 2000 years longer than stamps :)"

Haven't found the button to quote someone

That's totally correct. I just mean that in case of issuers. As I searched for European issuers of countries, obsolete states, entities etc. I first concentrate to banknotes. But there were more issuers of coins and much more issuers of stamps. But this is maybe not right for other continents.
I do not collect coins, though I started with them in my school days. And I use stamps only to fill the gaps, if no banknote or coin is available.

But I broke up with this collecting habit as I seldom get a new one and I now collect, like so many others, some modern countries of my interest.
Edited by Dispargum
11/26/2021 05:36 am
Learn More...
Australia
13923 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Haven't found the button to quote someone

It isn't automatic, as it was abused and removed early on in the forum's history. You have to do it manually, by typing [quote] and [/quote], and copy-pasting the text you want to quote and inserting it in between.

Now, as to your questions.

Quote:

Ehm, no. Coins have been around for at least 2000 years longer than stamps :)

That's totally correct. I just mean that in case of issuers. As I searched for European issuers of countries, obsolete states, entities etc. I first concentrate to banknotes. But there were more issuers of coins and much more issuers of stamps. But this is maybe not right for other continents.

That coins have been around for much, much longer than either stamps or banknotes, means that in the grand scheme of things, there are far far more separate coin-issuing entities. Consider, for example, Europe and particularly Germany and Italy. Prior to the mid-1800s, "Germany" and "Italy" were just geographic regions, filled with dozens even hundreds of tiny independent kingdoms, duchies, principalities etc. Many of these tiny nations disappeared before the invention of stamps or banknotes.

Going back further, we have the hundreds of independent Islamic dynasties throughout the Middle East, none of which readily correlate to any modern country. This extends into India, which was a hodgepodge of kingdoms, protectorates, European exclaves and independent states for much of its history.

Africa and the Americas are somewhat simplified in that they had few if any "native" coinages prior to European colonization, so the issue of where to file pre-colonization coinages doesn't come up.

And, of course, if you go back far enough, the ancient Greek series has thousands of independent city-states, many of which issued coinage. One could argue as to how much these should be considered separate "countries", as the concept of the "country" hadn't been invented yet. But if you went back in time and asked them whether they considered themselves to be independent, they would answer "yes".

So for comparison, my entire collection's country count (given the caveats I mentioned in my previous thread), I currently have a total of 826 coin-issuing entities.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Germany
12 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dispargum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So for comparison, my entire collection's country count (given the caveats I mentioned in my previous thread), I currently have a total of 826 coin-issuing entities.

I only can say: Wow!

You're right. As I do only collect banknotes, I didn't think about, going so far back in history
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add currencyden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Khalistan "note"
Khalistan P-NL, BNB # B-NL, 5 Dollars, 1982.
Front: Sikh official and arms
Back: Golden Temple of Amritsar
UNESCO decided NOT to include Golden Temple, Inscription denied 2015
Printer: unknown, probably Canadian printer
The Golden Temple (also known as the Harmandir Sahib, lit.#8201;'abode of God', or the Durb#257;r Sahib, 'exalted court', is a gurdwara located in the city of Amritsar, Punjab, India. It is the preeminent spiritual site of Sikhism.

Germany
12 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  01:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dispargum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is still something nebulous around these Khalistan notes. They seemed to be cheaper at time of issuing in the eighties, but now they become collectors items. I do not really collect them, but wanted to have still one for my collection of differnet countries, though it's not a proper country by itself.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
125 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have 102 countries in my collection, at the last count.
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have 102 countries in my collection, at the last count.
Impressive!
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 261Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: