Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1954 D Struck Through/Minor Lam + DDO-005 (I'm Guessing Not)?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 275Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  07:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So the first thing I'm curious is what exactly is on the 4 in the date. At first, I thought it might be a stain and tried to remove it with a toothpick gently, but nothing changed. So I came to the conclusion it was either a struck through of some type, or a minor lamination.

The second thing in question is the possiblity that it is a DDO-005. Now, I think this is likely, and that what I'm seeing is well placed staining. However, I just want to make sure.

Now again, I think this is staining, but because the only photo I could find of this coin was from VarietyVista, I didn't have much to go on, nor did I know what it looked like it later stages.

So I just wanted to make sure my thoughts were correct before I moved on.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5930 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks more like a contact damage where the metal was flattened and spread similar to the lower bar in the E of LIBERTY
Pillar of the Community
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Chase! I greatly suspected it wasn't the DDO-005, but I just wanted to make sure, thanks again!
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4201 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:43 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently attributed a few DDO-005 in a slightly later stage than the one on VV. The reverse markers are present but faint, while the obverse marker is still pretty strong. The doubling over the L is pretty hard to notice, and the bit above the I is starting to get swallowed up with the die wear, but the bit above the B remains strong. Hard to tell for sure if yours is staining or doubling, but I think in-hand you could use a porcupine quill or similar to see if it is raised above the B. I chucked one of these in with the current bulk lot I have on ebay but I don't do close ups for those, so here is a quickie close up through the slip to show what it looks like a little later than the VV images.

1954-D Lincoln Wheat cent doubled die - DDO-005

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
523 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See, once again to subtle for me. I would have missed it. But you're right, looks like lamination on the 4.
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5328 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for that explanation Keith, your assistance is seriously appreciated. The image and description of the doubled die gave me a good idea of what to look for, as well as checking the die markers.

Thank you Vestige!

Dearborn, will do.

Okay so, I followed Bats' smart idea and took a very thin tip and carefully moved it across LIBERTY, getting a hand on things. I also had my microscope pictured on top of it so I could see exactly what I was doing. To my surprise, I was able to actually feel movement on the top of I and B of LIBERTY, right where the supposed doubling would be. It seemed that the L was too faint to notice however, or it wore away with wear. I also checked for die markers, and while most seemed to be gone, one of the key ones which was a die scratch across EPU, was surprisingly present.

So in despite of my initial conclusion, I do believe this might be a legitimate DDO-005, at least, in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1053 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats then Silvercents. Always nice when a hunch pays off.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4201 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looked good in your pics which I why I figured I'd egg you on to check it a little more.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sheldius, it sure does!

I thank you once again for pushing me forwards Bats! Not sure if I would've been able to "confirm" it without such.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: