Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Salvaged, Looted And Lost Banknotes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 266Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
51 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  12:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add currencyden to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted a note in the workhorse topic that was salvaged from the SS City of Roubaix, sunk in 1941. This is part of an Oklahoma City Coin Club meeting presentation. With great help from fellow IBNS members, the presentation has morphed into an article for the IBNS Journal. I'm at 23 pages, with images. Here are some stats:
Oldest/newest dates - 1861 and 1979
Number of ships involved - 22. There are 7 ships in which the name of the ship is unknown.
Number of ships with banknote cargo salvaged, looted, or lost - 6, 3, 13
Number of different banknote denomination/types known - 35
Number of different banknote denomination/types salvaged, looted, or lost - 13, 3, 19
These numbers reflect the known shipwrecks with a good likely hood of true information only. There are 4 losses in The Rumor Mill chapter with 2 known & 2 unknown ships. Banknotes involved are 4 types, one of which is possibly looted with all the rest with cargoes lost at sea. The 2 passenger liners at the end are also not included.

I still need help with images, either ones I don't have at all or ones needing better resolution, say 200 kb or better. Actual salvaged notes would be super, but many/most of these were lost at sea, so none available. In this case, I need an image of the same type.
Ceylon Rs2 notes (P17)
India 5 Rupee (PA5) for Cawnpore
India 10 Rupee (PA5cr) for Rangoon
Colonial Bank $5 notes (PS112), for Dominica
Colonial Bank $5 notes (PS128), for British Guiana
Colonial Bank $5 notes (PS128), for St. Vincent
Colonial Bank $5 notes (PS128), for St.Lucia
Colonial Bank $5 notes (PS128), for St.Lucia
China 10 Yuan (J99a)
Malaya $1 (P5)
Malaya $5 (P6)
Saint Pierre and Miquelon 5-franc notes (P10
Saint Pierre and Miquelon 10-franc notes (P11)
Saint Pierre and Miquelon 20-franc notes (P12)
Saint Pierre and Miquelon 100-franc notes (P13)
Ceylon 1 Rupee (P16)
Ceylon 10 Rupee (P25)

I now will show an image from an IBNS collector of a salvaged Seychelles 100 Rupees, P26. It was salvaged from the Aolean Sky, which collided with another ship in 1979. , It was replaced by an identical note with a brown reverse, P27.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
140 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super. I will be interested to read that article!

I have seen a newspaper cutting from The Observer, dated Sunday 20 April 1941, which notes:

Turks Lose Banknotes
"'Because of what is described as "an accident" in the Piraeus to a ship carrying new Turkish bank notes and coins from England, the Central Bank of Turkey announces that such notes and coins are now invalid. A large quantity of the notes and coins were "dispersed", it was stated.'B.U.P."
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add currencyden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm finding more lost banknotes to the sea - LOTS more!
The number of known examples has jumped from 22 to 33!

The detective work is wild. Here's an example from yesterday. A search of "banknotes" and "lost" yielded a huge amount of "hits", but most were not related. One was a case of Bank of Canada vs. a bus company! I noticed they cited a loss of banknotes of the Banque d'algerie transported by ship. What ship? What notes? What date? I then did a search of the bank & the person who originally received compensation for the loss. The only find was a french language scan of a book on Algerian court cases - "Algerian case law from 1830 to 1876, Volumes 3-4" . That could be the oldest recorded ship loss I have to date! I couldn't copy/paste the court ledger since it was a scan of the book, so I used the translate app on my smartphone. If you haven't used this, you can view the text through your camera on your phone. It can (& did) give me multiple translations, but one proved correct. The lost ship - Atlas. The date - 1860. Even the notes - 50, 100, 500, & 1000 Francs. By the date of loss, I could pinpoint the exact issue produced by Banque de France. One is not listed in Pick, but all four are listed in BNB.

Back the way, this is NOT the oldest recorded ship loss. That belongs to an 1841 loss in Australia of Union Bank of Australia notes produced by Perkins, Bacon & Co. The paddle steamer made the trip from England to Australia only to ran aground on a sandbar close to Melbourne. I'll save the rest for the article, which now runs 27 pages.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 266Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: