Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1916-D 25c Barber Quarter

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 635Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  8:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$104. Thoughts? Thanks!

IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64142 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say EF-45. I wouldn't pay anywhere near this.
Edited by Coinfrog
11/29/2021 9:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3510 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU50/53. Can't quite tell if those are hairlines on the obverse running diagonally. Price is fair assuming it's problem free.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64142 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No forelock detail visible at all, and an incomplete lower ribbon line, and you're saying AU? Thoughts appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Frog, I really think you're going blind. It's not only AU but high AU. Ty2020b is also a consistent undergrader outside of the Buffalo series.

Edited by numismatic student
11/29/2021 10:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-53 net grade, hairlines are a concern. Considerable luster remains, even on parts of Miss Liberty.

Quote:
No forelock detail visible at all, and an incomplete lower ribbon line, and you're saying AU?

Not all coins have 100% detail to start with
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64142 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And not all coins with luster are AU. I'll wait to see this in a straight AU holder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't need a TPG to tell me this is an AU coin. Closer to unc than XF.
Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And not all coins with luster are AU.

Fair enough...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3510 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ty2020b is also a consistent undergrader outside of the Buffalo series

I'm not sure if that was an insult or a compliment, but I'll take it as a compliment I do tend to be a bit conservative though! Or just way off altogether!
Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The person who will always know the grade best is the OP. He has the best perspective of the coin in hand, while we have blurry photos and bad lighting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Ty2020b, certainly not an insult. Just an observation and opinion based on those observations.

@jacrispies, I don't have the coin in hand. I am looking at the same seller pictures that you are. Coin grading is subjective and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. Like when saying that the lower ribbon is incomplete when it is complete.
Valued Member
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look AU, but I don't like those hairlines.

That's AU50 money you spent, fair price if it comes back straight.
Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  02:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my subjective opinion it looks XF-45 and possibly cleaned. So hard to judge from pictures alone.
Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What are you using to take these pics? I've seen a few of yours that have very crisp resolution, yet some are way too blurry to be useful for this forum.

Is your phone/camera fixed, or are you holding it?

Also, autofocus has its limitations, but you can often work your way around them by "working in" to the subject. If you just magnify big and shoot, it is really hit or miss whether your camera is going to deliver. If you don't want to focus manually (really the best way to ensure quality), start your session at a much lower zoom setting. Experiment, and eventually you'll find a sweet spot where your autofocus gives you the richest high-focus resolution that you can then enlarge.

I'm no great photographer either, but I've managed to overcome some problems through trial & error.

IN my opinion, the resolution here is insufficient to determine whether the coin is XF or AU. On the obverse, there's a definite absence of detail in the hair by the back, but that could be the photo. If it is as appears, the obverse clocks in at somewhere around XF40. The reverse is quite plainly AU50 or even AU53.

Edited by pristine2
11/30/2021 08:20 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, these are seller's pictures. They seem amply fine to determine a grade and make a buying decision.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 635Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: