Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: What If? 1932 George Washington Gold $3

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 219Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7008 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  6:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
During the Second Session of the 71st Congress, Representative John Levi Cable (R-OH) introduced a bill that called for the issue of a gold $3.00 coin "in commemoration of the two hundredth anniversary of the birth of George Washington." The bill was introduced, not so coincidentally, on February 22nd.

The bill called for 300,000 gold $3.00 coins to be struck; with their design being left up to the "Director of the Mint, with the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury." The bill made no mention of the coin's specifications (e.g., size, weight, composition), though as the US had previously struck $3,00 gold coins, it would seem likely that the commemorative pieces would be struck to the previous standards: Size - 20.5 millimeter diameter, 5.015 grams weight and 90% gold, 10% copper composition.

Upon its introduction, the bill was immediately referred to the Committee on Coinage, Weights, and Measures, but it never was reported out. The proposal took a distant back seat to the discussions regarding a new circulating 25-cent coin to commemorate George Washington.

While Congress' inaction meant the US would not get its first $3.00 commemorative coin, Washington's birthday bicentennial commemorations did result in the US getting its second commemorative quarter! (See the link below for a discussion of the George Washington circulating commemorative coin.)

1932 Washington Quarter Dollar

Unrelated to the coin proposal, Congress commemorated Washington's birthday, a Saturday in 1930, with a program of addresses by members of either Congress or the George Washington Bicentennial Commission. Representative John Quillon Tilson (R-CT) was the first to give an address, of which I include a line here that I found to be very interesting and pertaining to something to which I had never previously given any thought:

"George Washington was born at Wakefield, in Virginia, on what was then February 11, 1732, according to the calendar in use at that time; but in 1752 the Gregorian calendar was finally adopted by Great Britain, and so by the addition of 11 days February 22 became the day on which to celebrate his birthday. "

For more details on the Washington Commemorative Quarter, check out:

- 1932 Washington Quarter

For other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, including more "What If?" topics, see: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
12/06/2021 6:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64191 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that's something I never knew about!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7440 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating indeed.

You continue to amaze us with historical research and elegant writing that is world class.

Still asking ... is there a book on the way?
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
108139 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A three dollar Washington coin would have been nice to see. Thank you for sharing.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating. I'm with @nickelsearcher - that's a book I would buy.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 219Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: