Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Judaea Bar Kokhba - Fake Or Real?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 521Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
72 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  07:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gerio2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sold as "Roman Bar Kokhba Revolt, large bronze struck year 1 of the revolt - 132 C.E"

In the light of the number of fakes around, the high prices fetched by real Abu Jara ones like this, and the light weight/thinness, I think it might be suspect.

Looking at other genuine examples I find
18mm diameter ones are typically 2.5-3.25 grams
Other weights and sizes go up to 14 grams but I can find only one close to this weight in 60+ examples on Coin Archives. I can't find any matching fake on FORVM though.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Weight 5.6 grams
Diam: 24-26 mm
Thickness: 2 mm max

Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  10:16 am  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the seller vintage_items925 is a known seller of fake coins. I added him to my fake seller list in February of this year. He is also affiliated with fake seller bisdimi_60

my fake seller list--

http://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum...,1218.0.html
Valued Member
United Kingdom
72 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerio2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wish I'd seen the list earlier but very useful for future reference. Thanks
Valued Member
United Kingdom
72 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerio2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update: I received an immediate refund when I queried the coin. I've chased the seller twice for a return address and heard nothing yet. Interesting.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
72 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2022  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerio2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the seller vintage_items925 is a known seller of fake coins. I added him to my fake seller list in February of this year.
FINAL UPDATE: I finally heard back after chasing him twice for a return address. He didn't want it back, saying "I don't need it. If you want - destroy it." In other words, he knew what it was all along.
I got duped at first but I can at least say the moment I got it in my hand it didn't feel right.
Courtesy of this forum I then began to learn a lot about fakes which I didn't know before.
The tragedy is that he's scored over 1300 positive sale feedbacks on ebay in the last 12 months. Only one negative - mine.

Thanks for your advice everyone.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
415 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2022  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard it said many times (although inconsistently, and I have never done it) that eBay sellers are able to remove negative feedback if they provide a full refund.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 521Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: