Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Is A Unique 1958 Lincoln Error In Liberty Probably Post Mint. Check It Out

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 770Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
663 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  9:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

It looks like part of the lower part of letter B just fell off and is laying on the side Anyone have any ideas?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67909 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a BIE die chip, quite common for this date.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir Derrin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say it took a hit and that pushed the metal.... PMD
Pretty common to see ....
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we see the ENTIRE coin, please? This is always always a good habit for us here, and please, both sides. Thanks.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
544 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I notice the rim looks rather stange there also. Looks like it is missing a piece. Hmmmm?
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44731 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With that pic,it looks like PMD to me. Please properly rotate photos before posting...thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatman77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
possible BIE die chip, place in flip and add to BIE pile. Also why everybody forget to see that it looks like a 1958 DDO, doubling on all 5 letters of liberty, we need to see full pic front and back
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2345 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the photo I do no see other then an PMD for the "B".

the crack in the rim it is minor and could happened on strike, like after also.

No error or variety here in this photo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is obverse and reverse with error in 1958 Lincoln.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2345 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
overall a nice coin. I see like a die crack on the scull, an close shot will tell more.

If it is confirm will be not an error but an variety.
Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
overall a nice coin. I see like a die crack on the scull, an close shot will tell more.

If it is confirm will be not an error but an variety.

Was just curious as to what could have happened? Not interested in errors and varieties, but others are (and I think that's cool) as I find them, I am willing to give them a new home. Had the coin taken a hit post mint, it seems there would have been more evidence around liberty. Without the scope the "B" in liberty looked pregnant. I hadn't seen something like this before. My examination of coins is in it's infancy and will not likely progress much further
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
544 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You seem to have several nice coins. Perhaps you should sell them to someone here rather than give them away. Just saying.
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You seem to have several nice coins. Perhaps you should sell them to someone here rather than give them away. Just saying.

Not worth the hassle and maybe I can make a few friends along the way. I probably have too many friends in the profession I am in. Maybe someone will pay it forward. My passion is learning how to grade Lincolns and I run across these. What am I going to do with them? At a very small price for me I might be able to help somebody else with their collection. Now if we are talking high dollar stuff then maybe I would think about it. Still good advice you are giving me. I would hope if I had a high dollar error someone on the forum would tell me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7575 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would hope if I had a high dollar error someone on the forum would tell me.

I'm sure they will! It happened to me when I found my 2015-S proof dime with the frosting error on it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57522 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like sheered metal from that device. A die chip would show a connection at the field level, not falling on the field lever. Just an altered device.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like sheered metal from that device. A die chip would show a connection at the field level, not falling on the field lever. Just an altered device.

I actually thought the same thing. It looks like the bottom half of the B was shoved over by something. Being a math teacher I try to use logic and probability and for the life of me what could hit the bottom half of the B and leave no other evidence. Hey someone hits the lotto so it can happen. I guess.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 770Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: