Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1951 Quarters - High And Low Relief

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 550Next Topic  

Germany
12 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  1:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add greyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi
I keep looking at them and they are different. Appreciate any opinion.
Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8835 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is high relief.
No low relief 1951 25cents were struck for circulation.
You won't find one.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
01/09/2022 1:59 pm
Germany
12 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add greyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8835 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another high relief.
Why won't you believe what I said previously?
None were issued for circulation.
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1877 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with DBM low relief were in proof like sets
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1315 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Greyman!

The markers you are looking for is where the A's in Gratia point. To the denticles (high relief), between the denticles (low relief). Both of your coins point to the denticles.

It is very unlikely you will find one in circulation, as they were made for mint sets, which typically do not make it into circulation, though it does happen. Please don't let previous responses dissuade you from asking questions, we are all here to learn.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1250 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree with DBM low relief were in proof like sets

I've always wondered about this.
Does the same go for 1952 PL quarters? Are all low relief's from PL sets?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1877 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1952 had Mint State low relief and high relief I can't remember if both come in PL sets
Germany
12 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add greyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to the ones who nicely replied. I am willing to learn. Keep looking at them but to all those with experience, eyes thank you. To the others with no patience. I had trouble loading and cropping the pictures at the same time. (could not find them on my computer). Learn by doing.

P.S. I'll be back
´
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8835 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There have been exactly as many low relief 1951s found in circulation as 1936 dot cents.

For 1952 there are both high relief and low relief circulation strikes.
1952 PL quarters are all low relief.
There were no "sets" of PL coins until 1953, beginning in 1949 only certain denominations were struck as PL, for example no 5cent PL coins were struck until 1953, thus all "sets" from 1949 'til '52 were a random mixture of PL and circulation coins. In 1953 there were both mixed sets and full PL sets, it wasn't until 1954 that homogenous PL sets became the norm.
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
01/10/2022 11:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1315 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS has a couple Pl 1951 LR's in Au. Which are probably just shelf wear, not circulation, but given the mixed nature of the sets, not impossible to believe a few ended up in circulation, I have put more than a few PL's into circulation. Unlike the 1936, which was limited to a few specimens for a select person.

Here is a 1951 PL 5 cent, NGC may have gotten it wrong, I don't think it was a specimen, but to this day the only coin I really regret selling. Heritage pictures don't do it justice, it was so nice in hand. Mistakes of a new collector...

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1250 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a 1951 PL 5 cent, NGC may have gotten it wrong, I don't think it was a specimen

I had a PCGS 1952 5c PL-64 that I cracked and sent to ICCS and it came back as MS-66
Edited by johnnysprawl
01/11/2022 12:17 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 550Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: