Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Interesting Observation For An 1853 Far Colon Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 172Next Topic  

Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  01:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Landyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There appears to be 'far colon' and 'not so far colon' varieties for the 1853 penny 'far colon, ornamental trident'.
Not brilliant pictures but the two examples show different colon positions - one that has a two teeth separation to the "F" in DEF and the other with a 3.5 teeth separation. Is there a reference site that acknowledges these die varieties?
The 1853 'near colon, plain trident' variety has a colon much closer to the "F".

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
715 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  02:10 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, this variety is known about. This website shows it amongst all the other varieties:
https://headsntails14.wordpress.com...y-varieties/
It also appears in Peck as Peck1503 - the normal OT/far colon is Peck1500.
The intermediate colon is described as Rare, whilst the Far colon as Common, so a good find.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1026 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

An Interesting Observation For An 1853 Far Colon Penny.

I had no idea what this was until I read further. At least it didn't relate to my first thought of someone with less means substituting a penny for a sixpence in the X-mas pud.
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Landyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks PaddyB, a useful reference site but it now means I need to add a few more varieties to my search list.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 172Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: