Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 D/D Lincoln Large Date In Mint Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 241Next Topic  
Germany
31 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  11:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SoundBeing to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
You may have covered this in previous posts, so apologies if I'm slowing down the conversation.

My question is; Do you break up mint sets to have coins graded?

This one looks so clean, most or all of the apparent damage is just the plastic it is wrapped in. Looks like a really high grade and therefore potentially high dollar value version of this coin.

Comes in the original packing/mailing material for the Denver and Philidelphia sets of 1960.

A lot of the coins look really nice in fact.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5940 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My question is; Do you break up mint sets to have coins graded?

Absolutely. But the important thing to consider would be if the coin's premium would justify the cost of TPG. Rule of thumb is that if the premium of the coin would be around $200-$250 then it's worth getting it graded which in this case your coin will not reach that premium.. You have a very nice RPM ( RPM-001), excellent find.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42851 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
$200-$250

General consensus is $100-$150 retail value after slabbing.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55501 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd leave it in the cello to avoid finger prints. But you might risk the cello toning the coin. But if it hasn't this far into it's life it might be safer there. Make sure to mark the envelope so you don't sell it off as a regular mint set.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Germany
31 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SoundBeing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where do I find info on this variety's value? I regularly look at PGCS, and it looks to me like if this coin grades high, 65 or above, there's some good money there.

In the photo, the "blemishes" above and below the date are not on the coin, but on the "cello". This thing look cherry!

And, thanks for your help!
Germany
31 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SoundBeing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check that, I found it. Yikes! It would have to grade a 66 or higher. But what if it's a 67?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42851 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where do I find info on this variety's value?

http://www.coppercoins.com/advsearch.php
eBay sold values.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1055 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great RPM. You have to be really, really certain to send in something hoping for MS 67. Even down to no rim nicks, and no soft features (from worn die or weak pressure), no carbon spots, etc.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1488 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This it is an 66. I have, and keep the PCGS photos, practical for me. It is an RB

I sincerely I do not believe yours coin reach un-know yet 67 for this year. And do not forgot one thing, your it is an BR.

Hope the best for you.
Edited by silviosi
01/12/2022 11:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5442 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8228 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check eBay's SOLD listings for an idea as to value.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4210 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SB that's a great coin. Looks top notch although true it would have to be rather stellar to go the grading route. Seems like a beautiful example to leave where it is, although I would be rather tempted to just pull it and put it in a 2x2. Anyone buying that mint set is going to pay for the Lincoln and get the rest free. So if you were to sell it why not sell the Lincoln and keep the rest?

Silviosi, great FS-101! IF PCGS graded that would be top POP 1/0 for a RB, and tied for top POP if it went RD.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is the coin and there is the experience, this coin left in the mint cello will do both. if you had a 64 kennedy proof DDO, different story
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1488 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Trop, no they do not do 'it in time, cause I did 'n ask?!!!? Hey folks, you do your job or not?.

I want to send to VSS and the to CAC. Is the only one in PCGS. I think will be worth the fees. IS RB.
Edited by silviosi
01/13/2022 12:29 am
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if you find a CAC club member, use them, if it doesn't CAC with their submission, there is no fee, yes?
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 241Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: