Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 P-Nickel With Possible Errors, Please Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 274Next Topic  

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  01:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Broken2savage to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey yall! I'm new to the community and this is my 1st post. I've always collected older dated coins, but now I'm trying to add to my collection with unique or error coins. I'm new to analyzing coins, so please be kind! I have some areas of interest on the obverse and reverse sides of my 2020 nickel. My pics may not be great and my verbiage may be incorrect, please be kind, educate me and help a lady out!
Obverse: strong "strike" across left cheek and possibly "strikes" above left eyebrow, and what appearsto be a dashed line across the chin.
Reverse: right side at end of steps seem to "curve" instead of remaining straight and flat, "striking" on right column next to the door and underneath 1st window to the right of steps, striking in lettering of Monticello, and a line between the letters "t" and "e" in word "states" that's goes down into the rim.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1488 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All about your concern are incuse, which show the coin was hit. Could be in manipulation or from any other sources after strike. we say PMD.
Edited by silviosi
01/13/2022 02:08 am
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken2savage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple additional pics

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42851 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. The cheek took a hit from another coin like another nickel or a cent. The rest look like PMD as well.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64435 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possible die crack between T and E in States? Otherwise looks normal.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
108551 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55501 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incuse marks into a coin are usually 99% of the time coin damage. On your coin, the hard hit on the upper cheek, those are called bag marks. Note the deep hit into the coin. But also note metal that was there, is now moved to a new location. I refer to this as a "wave" on the coin.

These can be directional or on your coin, a splash in two directions. It shows as a slight rise in the metal altering the design that not designed. It is damage to a coin. This is not an error. It is damage. Just like on a new car you have an accident. "Is that a factory error?" No, it is damage.

Damage a the coin after the strike, is called PSD. (Post-Strike-Damage) Not a plus for the coin. It reduces the grade for the coin because of the damage. If it were a variety coin, it would lower the value of the premium for it. To sever, and it is called a cull coin. Basically a face value coin.

Collectors look for coins with no issues. Sometimes these coins can be referred to, "as a problem coin". Cleaning a coin incorrectly, can make a normal coin into a problem coin. It removes the factory surface of the coin.

A coin treated with an acid, removes a layer to a coin. That missing layer turns the coin dull looking. A quick indicator a cent has been altered, is a pink color on the copper cents. This coin has an altered surface issue. Something true collectors watch out for when purchasing coins. If in doubt about a coin, pass. To find out later you bought an altered coin, will be your loss when you go to sell the coin.

Errors is a very vague term. Damage is not an error. It just turns a coin into a face value coin to a collector. When you have questions, you can start a thread with a question to be answered on the forum. Another thing that answers questions that you have not thought of yet, it a link on the site. CoopHome. Note how it turns blue? Click on that and you will find a thread of threads of either topics or threads with detailed answers. One of the threads has 200 images on it. So you could spend a lot of time there. There are 12 pages of information. Some are discussions, Some are information threads. Again, look for questions there, that are what you don't know about. Or ask specif questions on your threads. This will help you to advance in information quicker. It will help train your eyes quicker on different topics of coin searching. More questions on your coin can be asked here. Hope this helps. My goal is to help you see, what I see on your coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2322 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a bunch of nicks and dings.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
1972-P DDO-008/FS-108: http://goccf.com/t/405558
2000-D Maryland Quarter Rotated Die http://goccf.com/t/394553
1988-P "Reverse of '89": http://goccf.com/t/399390
Massive strike through error on 1957-P Jefferson nickel http://goccf.com/t/402781
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5442 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8228 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post mint damage. Normal looking nickel.

to the CCF! What else do you have to show us?
ša va bien aller

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken2savage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your educationally wise knowledge!! The links are extremely helpful! I am very excited to broaden my own knowledge and expertise on collecting and being apart of this community!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 274Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: