Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Commemorative Coin Series: Quick Bits #46 - Calendar Dates On Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 262Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7526 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  08:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
@nickelsearcher asked:

Quote:
What other commemorative coins [in addition to the Wisconsin Territorial Centennial Half Dollar] carry an actual date, and what is the significance of those dates?

The coin that comes immediately to mind is the 1927 Battle of Bennington/Vermont Independence Sesquicentennial Half Dollar. The coin features the date "Aug 16 [1777]" on its reverse. The inscription corresponds to the date of the Battle of Bennington in a field in Walloomsac, New York (a town that is about 10 miles from Bennington, VT, but "Battle of Bennington" rolls off the tongue more easily than "Battle of Walloomsac"!

1927 Battle of Bennington/Vermont Independence Sesquicentennial

Another classic-era commemorative half dollar with a specific date is the 1937 Battle of Antietam 75th Anniversary coin. Underneath the depiction of "Burnside's Bridge" on the coin's reverse is seen "September 17, 1862" - the date of the battle. The date is recalled as the single bloodiest day of the US US Civil War, with nearly 23,000 casualties (over 3,600 killed).

1937 Battle of Antietam 75th Anniversary

To circle back, the date on the Wisconsin coin is presented as the inscription: "4th DAY OF JULY ANNO DOMINI 1836" vs. a simple "July 4, 1836," but it is specific nonetheless. A bit of background for the coin's historical date: The Territory of Wisconsin was created via Congressional Act (signed by US President Andrew Jackson) on April 20, 1836; the date on the coin refers to the date upon which Henry Dodge, the Territory's first Governor, assumed office (appointed by President Jackson).

1936 Wisconsin Territorial Centennial

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7724 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding commems, and I appreciate you addressing the question and pulling this information together.

I had an understanding of the Burnside Bridge date - and believe me standing there today as I have on several occasions is a very humbling experience given the carnage that ensued on that date.

I was clueless as to the significance of the July 4, 1836 date on the Wisconsin half. Your explanation leads me to the conclusion that this is indeed the least significant date on any commemorative issue, by far!

Quote:
the date on the coin refers to the date upon which Henry Dodge, the Territory's first Governor, assumed office

You continue to do all of us a great service commems by researching then graciously sharing your knowledge on these coins and their history.

edit for spllneging
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
01/19/2022 10:24 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
461 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  02:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was hoping for some "current" new information from @Commems, but this post is "Dated".

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was hoping for some "current" new information from @Commems, but this post is "Dated".
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7526 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Ouch! Is there an "Oh, the pain!" emoji/emoticon available?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 262Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: