Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1257 Gold Coin Found In England Field Worth $500k

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 484Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
692 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  04:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I first heard this story from my brother in law a few days ago and had to do a search to read the article for myself.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...n-180979420/

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67630 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good link, thanks.
Learn More...
United States
112157 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5390 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool!
I didn't know anything gold was being coined in England back then.
And based on the photos, it just goes to show how gold can hold up in adverse circumstances (I mean the surface quality )
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
707 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating! I always love the stories of found treasures...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1437 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story. Thanks for the link!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17190 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's Gold In Them Dar Fields .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Learn More...
Australia
14260 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I didn't know anything gold was being coined in England back then.

As the article says, this was one of the earliest. With such apparently tiny mintages, it's assumed that gold coins at this period were mainly made as presentation pieces, rather than as a functioning part of the monetary system. Though I would note that, for this specific coin type at least, someone went to all the trouble to make a pair of special gold-coin dies, rather than simply re-use the silver penny dies that most earlier gold coins had been struck from.

Quote:
And based on the photos, it just goes to show how gold can hold up in adverse circumstances (I mean the surface quality)

It's been said that if the dinosaurs had made gold coins, we'd be able to dig them up, and they'd be in just as pristine a condition. Gold simply doesn't corrode under Earth-normal environmental conditions.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
867 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  02:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To find any gold coin in the ground would make your day . .
To find the Holy Grail of British gold coins . .

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2022  02:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add python-jc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw the other day it sold for $720,000
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 484Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: