Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Canadian: A Few Silver Dollar "Did You Know?" Trivia Items - Part II

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 510Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7770 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  9:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Back in May 2016, I posted a list of "Did you know?" trivia questions regarding my favorite series of Canada's non-circulating legal tender (NCLT) coins - the 36mm Silver Dollar (SD) series. You can check out that post here: "Did You Know?" SD Trivia.

Of course, the series has moved forward and continues to generate interesting facets, so I decided to pull together another batch of SD trivia items for your reading pleasure.

Did you know...

- non-current portraits of the British King/Queen have been used on the obverse of eight (8) of Canada's SDs?

+ King George V has appeared on four (4) SDs: 2010 - 75th Anniversary of first circulating SD // 2011 - 100th anniversary of the Striking of Canada's first Silver Dollar Pattern // 2015 - 100th Anniversary of the WWI In Flanders Fields poem // 2021 - 100th Anniversary of the Bluenose;

+ King George VI has appeared on two (2) SDs: Both design types of the 2020 75th Anniversary of V-E Day SD; and

+ Non-current portraits of Queen Elizabeth II have appeared on two (2) SDs: 2003 - QE II Coronation // 2013 - Korean War Armistice - each used the 1953 Mary Gillick portrait.

>>>>> Obsolete portraits of the British Monarch have been used more frequently on other denominations of Canada's commemorative coins.

- that since beads near the rim were discontinued on the SD's reverse as standard practice in 1983, they have reappeared six (6) times over the past 39 years?

+ Beads are present on the 1997 - Loon 10th Anniversary SD // the 2002 - Queen Mother SD // the 2003 - QEII Coronation SD (from SE Set) // the 2005 - Canada Flag SD // the 2006 - Victoria Cross SD // the 2012 - War of 1812 Bicentennial SD.

- the first Canadian commemorative SD to feature a facsimile signature as part of its design was the 2021 SD for the Bluenose?

+ The SD features the signature of the ship's architect: William James Roue. The 2022 Alexander Graham Bell SD's design also includes a facsimile signature - Bell's.

- the greatest number of Canadian commemorative SD releases in a single year is seven (7)?

+ In 2017, as part of Canada's 150th Anniversary, seven different SDs were issued. The releases were a combination of individual/standalone and set-only. (2017 kept SD collectors busy with frequent openings of their wallets!)

- there have been two SDs that have incorporated Morse Code at their rim?

+ The 2010 Canadian Navy Centennial SD has the HMCS Sackville's motto "Ready Aye Ready/PrÍt Oui PrÍt)" in Morse Code and the 2019 75th Anniversary of D-Day SD carries the Morse Code for the letter "V" - dot dot dot dash - (for "Victory") repeated six times.

- there have been four SD design types that have incorporated unusual elements as rim borders?

+ Each of the two design types of the 2018 Captain James Cook SD incorporates a rope design at the rim. The coins in question are the SD presenting a Standing portrait of Cook with HMS Discovery in Nootka Sound, and the facing colourized portraits of Captain Cook and Chief Maquina SD.

+ Each of the two design types of the 2015 Special Edition 50th Anniversary of Canada's Flag SD (i.e., the design with one hiker/backpacker, and the design with a family) feature small maple leaves at the rim. (Note: the colorized version of the 2015 backpacker design is a variety not a distinct type.)

- the first Canadian commemorative SD to feature a rim design that calls to mind Canada's 11-sided, small dollar coin - the Loon Dollar - is the 1997 Special Edition SD?

+ The 1997 coin commemorates the 10th Anniversary of the introduction of the Loon dollar. A second coin with such a rim design is the 2016 Celebrating Canadian Athletes SD. Each is a round coin with a rim design that creates the illusion of eleven sides.

- the SD's 36mm planchet has also been used for coin's of $5, $8, $10, $15 and $25?

+ As the denominations inscribed on today's NCLT coins are symbolic, the traditional rules of different denominations having different sizes and/or weights is no longer required.

- there has been only one Canadian commemorative SD that is fully gold-plated (by the Mint)?

+ The 2002 Queen Elizabeth II Ascension to the Throne SD was released as a standard silver coin in Proof and BU, but was also released in a fully gold-plated version as part of a special Golden Jubilee Proof Set.

- that 2021 saw the release of only one design type for the commemorative SD series?

+ Only SDs with the same Bluenose design that presented the ship split between blueprint and fully-constructed views was produced; three varieties of the design were released - Proof, Selective Gold-Plated Proof and Brilliant Uncirculated. The Royal Canadian Mint began releasing more than one SD design per year in 1997 and has done so in nearly all years since. (1998, 2000 and 2005 were prior exceptions to the post-1997 multi-release schedule.)

- to assemble a complete set (1971-2022) of commemorative SD designs in all their varieties (i.e., Specimen, Brilliant Uncirculated, Proof, Gold-Plated), you need to purchase/acquire 147 different coins? [UPDATED COUNT VS. 2016 LIST]

That's it until next time!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6013 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy it must take you a long time to put all that info together, well done.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7770 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks mcshilling!

It's true, my posts do tend to take me some time to put together - they're not the result of a quick copy-and-paste from other sources.

Good thing I enjoy "digging into" what I collect and then writing about what I find!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/22/2022 10:43 am
Canada
24 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add applesauced to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another fantastic write up commems. With the help of your posts I spent (figuratively and literally) this past winter assembling a Canadian SD collection. Started this past summer and now have 144, as I don't think I will be including the Peace dollars as part of my collection. I don't really want to include the 2008 Armistice and the 2010 Sun dollars also, but I have them anyway.
Edited by applesauced
01/22/2022 3:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7770 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@applesauced: Thank you for the kind words! Much appreciated!

Quote:
With the help of your posts I spent (figuratively and literally) this past winter assembling a Canadian SD collection.

Over the years I've participated in CCF, multiple folks have "complained" that I cost them money as they went out shopping for the coin(s) I wrote about. I wear such comments as a "badge of honor" and am always glad to hear my stories had an impact!

I'm happy I had a very small role in helping you build a set of modern Canadian SDs! They make for a great set!

My biennial "By the Numbers" post will be appearing soon - FYI, I've removed the Peace Dollars from my tracker as I now consider them a separate series on their own.

Happy Collecting!

Edited by commems
01/22/2022 5:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
678 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, great article; lots of facts!

Quote:
+ Only SDs with the same Bluenose design that presented the ship split between blueprint and fully-constructed views was produced; three varieties of the design were released - Proof, Selective Gold-Plated Proof and Brilliant Uncirculated.

I actually forgot about the 2021 BU SD until this article. The mintage was 30,000 and these sets are readily available. Any ideas how many were sold and will this finish continue in 2022?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7770 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any ideas how many were sold?

No, nothing verified. If past sales are any sort of barometer, I would estimate approximately 14-15,000. The popularity of the [Bluenose,[/i] however, might bump the range by 2 or 3K.

Quote:
Will this finish continue in 2022?

I'm wondering the same thing. The Mint could be using the otherwise-base-metal Proof set to reintroduce the BU SD. I'd be OK with that, though it will cost a bit more.

Edited by commems
01/23/2022 2:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4492 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
- to assemble a complete set (1971-2022) of commemorative SD designs in all their varieties (i.e., Specimen, Brilliant Uncirculated, Proof, Gold-Plated), you need to purchase/acquire 147 different coins? [UPDATED COUNT VS. 2016 LIST]

No wonder I don't have them all! I'm mostly complete to the year 2000, but the series has got ahead of me. Probably it the the only series I might complete just because of its connection with the circulating silver dollar.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 510Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: