Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Share Your Interesting Post Strike Damaged Coins.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 386Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2993 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2022  11:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
(I know what my first thought would have been if I saw the title, but this is a family site so I'll keep it to myself. LOL)

We've all seen "those" coins and instantly (usually) know it is PSD/PMD because it couldn't happen in the minting process.
(Maybe there is another thread that this one duplicates. If so please add a link to that thread since this one hopefully is more current. I couldn't find anything with the search feature.)

But.... occasionally a coin made us do a double-take as to what the heck was going on with it or what caused the damage.

I'll start off with a 1944P Lincoln Wheat cent I found recently. There appears to be a 7mm diameter bullet through it that has been filed and sanded smooth. A lot of energy went into filing it down. (Target practice or life-saving coin?)
Thanks for looking and adding any that you have found.

Sheesh! Enough already, on to the images.

Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
02/12/2022 12:00 pm
Learn More...
United States
38683 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2022  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10499 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2022  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was a roll find many years ago

1883-O Nut
Valued Member
251 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2022  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nss-52, do you know a nature of the scratches of the second coin?

I have a couple of similar. First is Japanese Ko-Kanei Tsuho (Mito-sen) that was used as amulet and is called Amegoi-sen (coin for asking for rain), therefor farmer made scratches (strokes) on the rim(s) imitating a rain.

Valued Member
251 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2022  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second is Russian 5 kopek 1833 with notches around obverse. There are different theories why they were needed, possibly for playing, religious or other purposes...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2993 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2022  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for adding some neat examples NSS52, Dave700x, and Grinya.

I just thought this thread might help people see examples of different kinds of damage to be able to differentiate between true errors and PSD. Your examples are really nice. They show the uniformity and balance to damaged coins some newer members might not have seen before.
(Humans do like symmetry in their intentional PSD. LOL)

ps. I did have one person suggest that it might be an arrow tip through the cent. Since a lot of them are tapered that could account for the diameter and the metal composition since most projectiles are lead or copper.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
02/12/2022 5:54 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21880 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2022  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but no, we're not going to waste gigabytes of space on the image disk with hundreds of pages af damaged coins.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 386Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: