Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1797 Cartwheel Penny Bronzed Copper Or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 560Next Topic  

Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2022  9:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lamsdorf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Guys

I inherited this coin and it appears too good to be true, is it?

36mm Diameter, 28 Gram weight

Thanks for looking.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
812 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2022  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me Lamsdorf. These were made when the value of the coin was equal to the value of the metal it was struck from. Copper was cheaper, so the coins were bigger!

Needless to say they weren't terribly popular as they were inconvenient to carry around. Many were saved as souvenirs such as yours. However many suffered damage at the mint. They were large and heavy and dints from other coins as they were bagged up were common. Yours seems to have escaped that.

Nice example. Looks to be a genuine coin to me.

There are a number of different varieties depending on the number of leaves/berries in the wreath on the King's head/ portholes on the ship. And patterns as well. However I have no experience of the series so can't say more than that.

Hopefully one of the experts will be along later and can give you more info. Were there any details with it? Where it was bought or anything?
Learn More...
United States
114684 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
472 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2022  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm definitely not an expert so I can't say if it is genuine or not. The weight and diameter are right and it looks ok, but if you compare the detail of the king's hair or the ship on the reverse it doesn't seem to be 100% (although that could be the light) https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces947.html

I'm also unsure what you mean by 'bronzed' - it seems only proofs were bronzed.
Edited by JohnConduitt
04/19/2022 12:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10670 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2022  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Tom. Looks like a regular issue 1797 penny in great condition.
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2022  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lamsdorf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for looking guys, nice to know its probably real, lol.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
472 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Fakes are generally in great condition while real ones are not, so it's worth being cautious!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
532 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2022  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a fake it's the light setting. That is one excellent 1797 Penny I should know I have a nice one myself
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24458 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin but cleaned. Looks genuine to me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 560Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: