Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1927-D Standing Liberty Quarter Grade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 752Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2022  6:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mrhakfbacon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought this quarter for $11.00 a few days ago. I think it grades G-VG. Does anyone have a grade estimate or value estimate?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70418 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2022  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say G-06.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45852 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2022  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2022  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

I think it just makes VG-08. IMHO, the obverse pulls it over the line.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17784 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2022  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With OP , G-VG .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70418 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2022  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fortcollins - VG-08 with incomplete and undefined reverse rims, clearly worn into States and Quarter?
Edited by Coinfrog
05/08/2022 12:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1305 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A solid G-06
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member
There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
762 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incomplete rims on both sides nets a G-6 for me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4159 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20719 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm on a VG8 side.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
114935 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coinfrog, Yep. I hear you, though. These are popping up as VG-08 if the obverse is solid. It's not the VG we remember, but it's where they seem to be grading. Just for kicks, I looked at the PCGS VG-08 Photograde example for the recessed date era, and it's almost a clone.

That's a large part of why I put them in flips with "G-VG" as the grade.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70418 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I'm just too old school. Never in my (now ended) coin collecting lifetime would this have been considered even close to VG. Sigh.
Edited by Coinfrog
05/10/2022 7:16 pm
Learn More...
United States
114935 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...in my (now ended) coin collecting lifetime...
Wait. What?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coinfrog, You are far too young to be tired, much less retired. I'm old. Just ask my teenage grandkids, who wonder whether we had covered dinosaur parking when I went to school, or had to leave them parked on the street.

I cut my teeth on grading with Brown & Dunn, I know many of the young'uns abandoned B&D for Ruddy's Photograde, but I stuck with the scholarship behind B&D. It's still the best reasoned approach to grading. No doubt at all, this coin would be a straight G by B&D or even Ruddy. But the PCGS examples and what I am seeing from NGC and ANACS makes this VG-08 today. Yes, it is grade inflation. No, there isn't anything that can be done to go back to the old days.

There is an irony here. Recessed date SLQs will always have sharper obverses than comparable pedestal date SLQs. That's partly a function of the design change, partly a function of better availability of dies (reducing die wear), and partly a function of better coining presses. The obverse bias means the recessed date quarters with the same wear as pedestal date quarters will receive slightly higher grades in the G-F range. T'ain't fair, but neither is a 20-year-old baseball player being a highly paid DH while batting .226. That, however, is a different rant for a different day.
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonjrl1963 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good6
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 752Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: