Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions About 1983 Penny Die Crack?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 393Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
58 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  06:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HCIX to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I had a bunch of 83s I hadn't gone through and trying to take what you've said here I looked them over and then went to wexlers and compared and though I didn't get as many as probably usually would eventually all my what ifs went to the "normal" pile. So then I decided to go down wexlers list of 83 issues and one happened to be a die crack from memorial to rim under initials and I'm not sure if this is one or if it's just damage

Also I had set aside a 1983 d that the 9 got my attention of and then I saw a line I actually thought looked like his shirt doubled but when I started taking pictures it's not what it was at all but not sure if it's quite what I thinknit is now.

So I feel like it looks like the line continues from one side of rim to other next to N of IN. Not fully I mean I can "see" where it would go through Lincoln's neck and head but line actually stops at bust (maybe not sure if it's in neck?)and doesn't start again right away. Also this is not listed in wexlers so I know I need to learn more in discerning damage. Also I did my best with photos. Did everything but stand on my head and this is the best of what came out actually showing anything also included is pic showing why the 9 got my attention

Don't know if this is better?

Edited by HCIX
05/15/2022 06:54 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15173 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the memorial, that is a die crack. The four corners of the memorial are a common area for cracks.
On the 1983D, that might be a linear plating bubble, hard to tell from photos supplied.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HCIX to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jimmy I added another hoping it's easier to see. Just can't quite get anything any better. And thank you for answering
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45110 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HCIX,
WADR,you are going to have to find a better way of taking photos. The better the photos you post the better we can help you.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
23687 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The four corners of the memorial are a common area for cracks.

I agree—sharp corners are universally areas of high stress:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9000 Posts
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HCIX to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 I do not know what I'm still doing wrong tbh. I've done everything I've been told here. And even before I post I know they're not good but post the best of the bad. I'm elevating the camera on a still surface I'm using a timer and I've used both the paper and tissue paper Dearborn said to use. It's a good thing I never tried to be a photographer lol. There's obviously something I'm missing
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15173 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have a macro lens on your camera?
They are great for taking closeups without making the picture blurry.
I also try to use natural light whenever I can, something like a window sill.
As long as it is not in the direct sunlight, this allows light from different angles.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HCIX to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes jimmy my phone camera has a macro option. But it seems very basic like I can't figure out how to adjust it there. I have not tried natural light only. Unfortunately on that aspect I tend to do this very late night when I can't sleep. I can't think of the last post I did during the day lol. I will try harder to do that next time
Learn More...
United States
23687 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hcix, maybe just take the pics during the day and then upload them as part of your new CCF threads at night when you have insomnia.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45110 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  04:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HCIX,
For most of us it is not easy taking pics of coins, including me. As to natural light, you can always buy a natural light bulb which replicates sun light. You can also buy a clip-on magnifier for cell phones on the cheap. A so-so photo is still better than none, most times
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrhakfbacon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be, can't tell. 1983 pennies are notorious for having die cracks.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 393Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: