Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown (To Me!) Early Persian Gold/Electrum? Coin To Identify!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 311Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
218 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  10:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,
I'm, as usual, out of my depth!
A couple hours ago, I was happily going along, tearing apart the wrappings on some nice ancient copper lots I bought for their early roman contents from Lanz's ebay store, as any good coin collector does, when I suddenly, and wholly unexpectedly found something which absolutely didn't quite look like copper amongst my newest treasures.
My very little experience suggests to me that I'm looking at a piece of Persian low-purity gold, weighing in at 1.4 grams, of some sort, maybe a fractional piece?
I've crossposted to Forum Ancient Coins, which gets a couple extra images,https://www.forumancientcoins.com/b...pic=128194.0 but no answers yet!
I'm looking forwards to being told a little bit more about it thanks to your experience!
Thanks in advance!
LRC

Edited by Loruca
05/19/2022 10:55 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
472 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Google 'Lanz' and 'fakes'.

Otherwise, it does look like ancient Greek electrum.
Valued Member
Canada
218 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John,
Indeed Lanz and fakes are not unknown pair on the internet. In fact, his eBay site is quite full of (Well-marked) ones.
That said, that doesn't answer the question as to this specific coin, which remains a total mystery.
All I can find on the internet are vague references to the existence of fractional Persian gold pieces.
Additionally, I do see that the two-stamp types fade out quite early in the Persian empire, replaced by the standardized high-purity Daric.

Any contribution to this thread would be greatly appreciated!
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: