Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1796 MO 8 Reales Authenticity?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 318Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
9852 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  04:08 am Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased this Mexican 1796 8 reales on eBay. It came with a Washington Mint COA which means nothing to me. The weight, diameter and edge design look right on the money. It has clearly been cleaned which is no concern (to me).

Upon further review there a couple reverse items that concern me. One is the upper right lion having a broken tail. The other is the dot just right of the the lower right pillar. The dot not in it's normal location (seems too close to the pillar base).

What do you think? At first I was confident it was genuine and now have some doubts. I have already contacted swamperbob directly so hopefully he'll reply to this thread.

ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3947 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a chop mark above the crown
Pillar of the Community
United States
9852 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,this piece has several chop marks at various locations.
ANA #R3154474
Australia
3 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AussieSilverStandard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm certainly no expert but I have a few Charles III Mo 8Reales (including the 1772 F.M/M.F) From The El Cazador).
It looks legit to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1739 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AussieSilver
Do you have a 1772 FM or a 1772 MF? I am unaware of any over assayer for that year. All 1772 8 Reales from Mo mint have the assayer initials inverted ( upside down). The more common one reads FM, the MF is much scarcer.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United States
9852 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
swamperbob replied via email and I will take the liberty of posting his response below. Many thanks to all.

The coins found in the "Washington Mint" box are often counterfeit. However, the photos show no clear evidence one way or the other.

I don't know where the "Washington Mint" got their coins but I suspect they were likely from China. Their stuff is very reminiscent of the coins that I used to review for Al Dorego of Seekonk, Mass in the late 1960s and early 1970's. He bought bags of 8Rs at basically silver melt. I reviewed them for decent coins. There were many fakes included.

Bob
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While it's interesting that you knew to contact swamperbob, if you didn't provide any more information than you posted here I'm not surprised that you got a "no clear evidence one way or the other".

I would consider your coin to very likely be a bullion forgery, one of many sent to China in the late 1800's through early 1900's. Such forgeries are routinely bought and sold as genuine by most dealers because they look like they have correct obverse and reverse details and weight and have silver content very close to the correct amount. However very few people will check the full set of diagnostics that an expert like swamperbob will.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 318Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: