Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying 2016 Die Clash Lincoln Shield Center

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 384Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  1:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoffeeLvr8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Came across this 2016 Lincoln cent die clash. While the coin is corroded, it's a pretty cool clash that I've never seen before. Any help identifying what this coin is clashed with would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1312 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a vice job, Post Mint Damage PMD.

Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am no expert by any means. But, this one would ask as well
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is obvious PMD. No opinion for the other stuff going on.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeLvr8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes total sense to me. What's still stumping me however is the lettering on the reverse rim above "states."
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21916 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That makes total sense to me. What's still stumping me however is the lettering on the reverse rim above "states."

It's a mirrored RU from trust. Mirroring indicates a vice job.

Quote:
Any help identifying what this coin is clashed with would be appreciated

This statement makes me wonder if you understand what a clash is. A clash happens when there is no planchet in the chamber when the press strikes and the dies slam together. This can leave design elements on the opposite die that could show up on coins in the subsequent strikes.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeLvr8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your input. In all my reading and research into varieties, I never came across any discussions regarding the use of a vice on a coin. Interesting. I've now gone back to read more thoroughly on the entire minting processes to gain a better understanding. While I did have luck with one actual die clash this week, the 2013 below, the education you provided me today proved even more valuable to me. Thank you again.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10325 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
correct, not a clash, 2 coins were smashed in a vise together to get these impressions.

After reading all the posts in this thread, it may be time to call in the 'vice squad'
Edited by Dearborn
05/30/2022 5:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1481 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF and
Learn More...
United States
114705 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 384Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: