Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

June 2022 NGC Submission Tracking - A Thread!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 1,965Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  2:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

I'm opening up this post to keep a thread of my first direct submission to NGC (and PMG).

I think the forum is due for an updated play-by-play guide to submitting combined with current practical turnaround times from NGC!

Part 1: Submission

Having purchased a five-year ANA subscription, I sent a letter to NGC requesting submission privileges in February. A slight goof-up on their end meant I did not receive any notification of my account activation. A follow-up phone call cleared up the misunderstanding, and got me my sign-in credentials on May 25th.

My submission is comprised of 40 coins in three distinct tiers: Standard, Gold, and Economy (and one banknote to PMG.) Mostly World coins in the 150 - 300$ range with a small number of higher value coins, and some high grade fillers. I also sent in one modern error coin (a euro with a clipped core) in the economy category.

As of June 9th, submission turnaround times declared by NGC for this package vary from a low of 17 days for the Standard US submission to a high of 59 days for the World Economy submission.

On May 28th, I carefully packed my 40 coins in standard vinyl flips identified individually with my submission number and the line number on a sticker. The vinyl flips were then placed in a standard 1980's slide tray, which was taped close and packed in a bubble envelope alongside the NGC documentation.

A note on the required documentation - NGC requires three copies of their submission form be filled out and enclosed with the submission, as such, filling it out digitally on their website and then printing the resulting PDF is far simpler than doing it by hand.

A similar process took place for my single banknote, and then, with both packages ready and pre-printed shipping labels attached, I shipped them off that day, a Saturday afternoon (28th) at my local Canada Post office.

As an international shipper, I found little information on how to declare my four-zero dollar shipment online. I therefore reached out to the Canadian Border Services Agency, which helpfully pointed me in the right direction by informing me that I should label my package very honestly as:
"Numismatic items for evaluation and return to Canada"
in the "reason for export field, and
"40 Numismatic Items $X0000" in the value and item tabs.
I would then only be charged import duties and taxes on the grading cost when the items would be returned to me, and not on my coin shipment.

Unfortunately, I missed the pick up window by a few minutes, so my express post packages ($30 each in shipping fees) slept away the entire weekend in my local office - only a few hundred meters away, from a super busy mail distribution facility which, on the other hand, was far from paused for the weekend.

Nevertheless, while Canada post's delivery standards predicted the packages' arrival in Florida only on June 7th, a little bit of extra speed meant that on Friday June 3d at 3 PM I received a confirmation email that the packages had made it to the Sarasota P.O. Boxes of NGC and PMG.

Based on the USPS tracking, I can also confirm that the packages were picked up later that same Friday afternoon, just before the end of working hours by the NGC and PMG staff.

Despite religious checking, neither NGC nor PMG would scan the packages into their system until Tuesday, June 7th.

Then things accelerated at NGC - the package was opened and the submissions scanned into the system on the morning of June 8th. Later that day, the submissions appeared on my NGC account, under the "submissions tracking" tab, and were given the status of "scheduled for grading. Only then did I receive an email from NGC confirming charges to my credit card for grading fees.

By June 9th, the gold submission had changed status to "grading / quality control" - a point of note this submission has an expected 41 day turnaround time!

As to the PMG submission (standard tier), well, the package has yet to be opened and details uploaded to their website.

Here ends part one! Up to now I'm positively surprised by NGC's speediness, and am hoping the trend continues!

Edited by Loruca
06/09/2022 2:51 pm
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At 5 PM on June 9th the PMG (Express) submission appeared on the website, with a status of "received".

Mea culpa - I'd forgotten to mark the box as "Express" when shipping it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My last shipment to PMG was sent December 9, 2021, and received back May 24 - approximately 5 1/2 months.
Edited by Coinfrog
06/09/2022 6:13 pm
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog - that's a long time! What submission tier did you send under?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Around 15 notes, all economy.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4346 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
97 days for my last submission to NGC
and plus, plus ,plus ,extra charges .
By the way will be very surprised if you
end up paying any GST HST on your return
Shipment .
Sent in thousands of coins since the late 1980s and only
ever once paid a border charge , a bogus FedEx document fee.
Quite simply CBSA does not really know how to handle coins
returned from the Grading companies and just pass them through .
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uh oh Pacificoin, you're worrying me with that "Extra charge" talk! NGC is expensive enough already!
What happened?
Edited by Loruca
06/09/2022 9:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4346 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins they deemed worth more than the
Category YOU claimed them in .
Extra shipping charges etc .
By the time you figure ALL charges .
Easily Fifty CAD a coin these days for
NGC or PCGS.
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2022  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the morning of June 13th there were two important changes with both the Gold NGC submission and the Express PMG submission changing status to "Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging"
Additionally, the PMG submission was finally charged to my credit card, after having received a total invoice on June 9th.

Days since mailing: 17.
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2022  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the morning of June 15th, both the PMG and NGC Gold submissions changed status to "grading/quality control"

Days since mailing: 19.
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2022  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big update!
My PMG Submissions being shipped back to me! Seven days from receipt to return shipment - that's less than half of what was predicted according to their expected turnaround times for an express submission!
Here is the link to the cert https://www.pmgnotes.com/certlookup...9442-001/30/ for those interested, it's an extremely rare 50 lira bill from the Italian Aegean islands.
I'm very positively surprised - is it possible the backlog is finally getting worked through?

Days since mailing: 20.

Edited by Loruca
06/16/2022 10:35 am
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update!
I received the return package from PMG this afternoon, June 30th.
No change whatsoever in the status of the NGC submissions. This means my U.S. "standard" submission is officially above their 23 day advertised turnaround time, with my gold submission to follow in that path tomorrow.
Ah well, t'is life.

Days since mailing: 34
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update!
My U.S. "standard" submission turns out is being treated as a "world" submission, with a turnaround time of 30 days. However, we're now at 31, and just this morning we have a status update: it's now in "grading/encapsulation/imaging".

My world gold remains without a grade, 21 days after expected turnaround.

Days since mailing: 42
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2022  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As of July 26th, NGC has officially had (according to their own numbers) my submissions for 49 days.

That includes:

Gold (world) expected turnaround 13 days
Standard (World) expected turnaround 30 days
Economy (World) expected turnaround 49 days

There have been no status updates since my last update. All submissions are overdue. Grades have yet to be posted for ANY of them.

Days since mailing: 60
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2022  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting update -

Yesterday morning, as has been the case since I submitted, expected turnaround time for my economy submission was given as 49 days.
This morning, day 50, it was updated to 58.

I knew my patience would be tested, but seriously, they seem to be doing on purpose!

Days since mailing: 61
Edited by Loruca
07/27/2022 2:16 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 1,965Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: