Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Self-Check Out/Conversion To Cashless Commerce: Any Opinions?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,359Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the self-service check-outs. I take forever checking my stuff out, peruse the candy bars next to the check-out, bag everything slowly and precisely. I usually shop at night so I'm not holding other folks up. But I pay in cash just to see what kind of coins I get out of the automated machine and then I spend a little time looking at them before moseying on out of the Ralph's. Paying with cash is awesome as you get coin change and you'll never know what you'll get: a silver dime, a toned quarter, wheat pennies, maybe even a War Nickel or at least a new commemorative quarter.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4999 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am one of Mr. Roger"s 10 million customers yesterday they will cause the greatest lost of patrons by their great service, maybe everyone should sell their stock. Alright that"s over, use very little cash now since covid, most places prefer cards except yesterday.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1776 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  09:10 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't mind self check outs that work well & provide equal # of cash options but Visa/debit self check-outs outnumber cash options 6 to 1. I also find it alarming that I keep seeing them installed in retail outlets & know there's another 6-8 people laid off. When I saw ads by the BTCA that cash was a vector for Covid I was livid (knowing that it was an airborne virus).

My wife just informed me that one cannot use cash to pay their Presto commuter card at a cashier but must use electronic options. If there's a province wide black-out (like in 2003) I just wonder how that's going to work.

Periodically, the governor of the Bank of Canada issues warnings for Canadians to curb buying houses, since compared to other nations, we hold record levels of debt. A few years ago the BoC made a statement that cash was necessary for fringe elements of society & as an emergency back up (& for elderly). I have made it a habit to use cash to curb my spending. I just don't see any concrete public/private support for cash use despite the BoC warnings.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
808 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A few years ago the BoC made a statement that cash was necessary for fringe elements of society & as an emergency back up (& for elderly).

Sweden's Riksbank (their central bank) made a very similar statement about cash not so long ago.
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2022  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have to make something clear... I do not want to eliminate cash, I just do not want to use it when I do not have to. My last ATM withdrawal was a year ago last week. I am finally down to the last nine dollars.

I do not think physical money will cease to exist in our lifetime, although it might cease to be issued sometime in the far future as humans and our understanding of the social contract continue to evolve. I do wonder if/when the first person who will never use "tangible" money has been/will be born.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1776 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  10:03 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do have to make something clear... I do not want to eliminate cash, I just do not want to use it when I do not have to.

I'm similar but in an opposite way @jbuck! I also want to be clear that I don't want to eliminate digital payments (which can be great) but I just don't want to be forced to pay digitally when I could use cash!

Another thing to keep in mind is that all commerce has been 80/85% by the books (or digital) for as long as there's been such a thing. Banks & businesses don't use wheelbarrows of cash (& never have). Bank drafts & money transfers have always been the mainstay. I think that is why I get so infuriated when I see all the lies & deceit of the BTCA (clearly a cash-grab tax dodge for billionaires)! They seem to be intent on eliminating the last small fraction of individual cash commerce! They've been hellbent to demonize cash use as the realm of criminals, a vector for diseases & to disseminate propaganda that the BTCA actually help disadvantaged women & poor set up bank accounts! Absurd! People tend to take on much more debt when they never dig out cash & see how much they're forking over for X or Z.

It is important to understand that we all pay for the cash back programs! We're paying for our privacy to be sold out to marketing agencies & other businesses. We rarely give it a 2nd thought after we use our cards (& that's the dilemma I have).
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also want to be clear that I don't want to eliminate digital payments (which can be great) but I just don't want to be forced to pay digitally when I could use cash!
Fair enough!
Pillar of the Community
Germany
808 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also want to be clear that I don't want to eliminate digital payments (which can be great) but I just don't want to be forced to pay digitally when I could use cash!

Exactly my sentiment too!
Valued Member
Canada
82 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2022  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For some types of purchases I only use cash, and for others I only use debit or credit. Hence I go to the bank once per week and always have a wallet full of cash. The Rogers outage had no negative impact on me. Would hate to see us become a cashless society.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1776 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2022  09:06 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For some types of purchases I only use cash, and for others I only use debit or credit. Hence I go to the bank once per week and always have a wallet full of cash. The Rogers outage had no negative impact on me. Would hate to see us become a cashless society.

-That was my sentiment too @cedargrove. However, lately, I've become even more reliant on cash just because I'm getting so annoyed with the rapid transition here & b/c I want businesses to know that cash is still relevant.

I used to save my $3.00 in change to buy a lotto ticket but have discovered this is impossible at Shoppers since they've converted everything to self check-out & often will have nobody on cash. I've walked out several times now b/c there's no cash check out available (saved myself some money ) & now wonder how many transactions they've lost due to their rapid transition.

In case you think that the rest of the world is safe- here's a BTCA ally (Merchant Machine) article on "The Countries Most Reliant on Cash":
https://merchantmachine.co.uk/the-c...sh-in-2022/)

Note that ATM's are being shut down in UK (& I heard the same has happened here in Canada). This will probably be a trend globally in the not-too-distant future.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,359Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: