Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wtc Ground Zero Recovery Coins - Why So Many Jamaican Half Pennies?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 372Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  11:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AverageMercEnjoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know there was gold and silver eagles recovered but I see so many of these Jamaican half pennies for sale all over the place.

Does anyone know why there were so many of these coins in particular in the vaults?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4128 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They possibly date from the warehouses that were there before the towers. maybe there was a Jamaican social club or a shrine to Santa Money for Jamicans or something.

The coins would predate the buildings as Jamaica went decimal before 1970. What era are the halfpennies as they were made from the 1860s onwards.

UPDATE - seems they were stored in some vault 2 stories underground by Comex (For what I don't know) and several scammo home shopping companies are selling them for $100 or so each when in reality they are worth cents. It seems the 9/11 provenance of them has made them valuable.

The coins are also very late (1950 - 1969)

Another dumb TV coins scam that rips at sentimental heartstrings (9/11), how a Jamaican coin would appeal to that is beyond me.

I love COINS!!!
Edited by Princetane
06/29/2022 11:12 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 372Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: