Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Starting Out, Looking For Tips Please!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 482Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2022  5:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wstalcup to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hi! I have about 10 ancient roman coins
unfortunately, I couldn't help myself and touched them already :(
anyone know of a "wipe" or something I should use, to get rid skin oil (or whatevs)? also any accessories you may recommend? I already have a magnifying glass.. and currently just storing in a binder
see pic. any better ideas? thanking in advanced!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46665 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2022  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As to getting rid of fresh skin oils,100% pure acetone...not standard nail polish remover.
https://www.vcoins.com/en/coins/ancient-2.aspx
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2022  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello! Welcome to the commmunity. I've collected ancient coins for over 25 years, I hold them a lot, bronze, copper, silver coins, it won't damage them unless you drop one and it scratches. Coins you should not hold with bare hands are modern proof coins, mint state modern coins like Morgans,etc. There are youtube channels you can watch on how to clean ancient and modern coins without hurting them, knowing when to stop cleaning, not over clean. Many ancient coins have already been cleaned to free them from encrustation but still leaving the patina which protects them. Some use acetone dip to lightly clean coins. Some wear cotton or nitrile gloves medical staff use when holding coins.
Edited by livingwater
07/30/2022 6:59 pm
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wstalcup to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
doesn't seem I can reply to each of you individually.. so thank you both!
Pillar of the Community
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My interests are mainly with classic US type coins and ancients are not my forte. I do however find the ancient very interesting to have survived for centuries. That said, I have always been taught to handle coins only by the edges and that the only acceptable product to clean a coin is 100% pure acetone since it will remove gunk without disturbing the toning or patina. Always pat dry, never wipe. One word of caution I would suggest is to purchase only from a reputable dealer. The market is flooded with bogus coins from ancients to modern coinage. Learn as much information as you can before jumping into the pond.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2308 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Handle by the edges, and as said, acetone will clean up any light oils and organic material on the coin's surface. Finger oils can actually be good for copper coins, so don't be too afraid to handle those.

Nice coins, I see a variety of copper and silver coins. I don't have more than a couple ancient coins in my collection (I mainly collect U.S.), but I can appreciate the age and attributable history.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2022  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wstalcup to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks again everyone! (doesn't seem to be a way to reply to each of you)
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 482Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: