Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Time/Hour To Visit A Coin Show

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 656Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2022  6:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you think is the best time/hour to visit a coin show? The moment it opens? Later in the day? Last minute?
I assume it depends on the coin(s) you are wanting to buy. Perhaps something special requires you to arrive early, but if you want to buy some common-date Morgan dollars it might be better to wait as dealers don't want to haul their coins back to the store?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17910 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2022  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion the best time is about 40 minutes till closing . Like you said the dealers really don't want to lug all their heavy coins back to the shop .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71847 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2022  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dealer day if you can get in.

Otherwise, if you 're just trolling, the last four hours of the last day.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2307 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2022  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pay the extra fee to get in early. The good stuff goes fast, any other time has been a waste of time in my experience.

But late is better than never.
Edited by jacrispies
07/30/2022 8:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1878 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2022  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I like to get there as early as possible if I can to start seeing deals on whatever I need/want

Thing is, I haven't been to too many to be really practiced up...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1148 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does depend on what you're shopping for, to a degree. The earlier the better if you have a very specific want list you're trying to fill. If available, purchasing an "early bird" ticket for the first day is a nice opportunity to check out the dealer inventories before the show is open to the public.
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1881 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I try to get in on dealer day if I can. A lot of the good material gets traded before the show starts and much of it can be put away for dealers private collections. How do I know this. I have two friends that are dealers that I sometimes piggyback in with and watch it happen all the time. Go early as possible and look thoroughly. Quality better dates are too difficult to find otherwise.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20078 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most expensive way to buy coins at a coin show, is to look for specific coins to fill a hole in your collection.
Psychologically, you are more inclined to pay top prices, and get somewhat less of a bargain.

The least expensive way to buy coins at a coin show, is to be an opportunist, looking for coins across the whole range of whatever you happen to be collecting, with the intention of always being on the lookout for best value for money spent.

I agree with other opinions about the best time to be there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was at the Petersham Show in Sydney, just a few hours before writing this post.

I bought a nice Japanese Mameita bean Gin, a Roman antoninianus of Caracalla, an 1801 Venetian 2 lire, and a 1928 Republic Ceskslovenska 10 Korun. Now there is some variation for you !

Open up to the whole spectrum of numismatics, and the bargains are much easier to find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those bargains, do you look at the display cases or do yo go through boxes with 2x2 coinflips?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1878 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To NumisEd's question, I look through 2x2s and loose coins per bulk, and a dealers better stuff . Dealers miss things all the time, so cherrypicking is a thing for me especially if it something I need for my collection. Being ethical is also a thing for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2307 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The least expensive way to buy coins at a coin show, is to be an opportunist, looking for coins across the whole range of whatever you happen to be collecting, with the intention of always being on the lookout for best value for money spent.

This is the way I buy coins, whether for resale or keep. Prepare yourself with knowledge so you can recognize an opportunity when it crosses your path.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
677 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a good question. I see the merits of going early or near the end. I tend to try and get to the show early on, as from experience, sometimes items I've had my eye on disappear when I go back later. One problem I've discovered is that some dealers pack it in early, so fewer options, but maybe dealers more willing to give a better deal.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 656Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: