Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition - Gold Quarter Eagle

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 136Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8006 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  07:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For the history of the path the bill that authorized the Panama-Pacific International Exposition ("Pan-Pac Expo") coins took in Congress, see: 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition - Gold Dollar.) This post focuses specifically on the Quarter Eagle coin and its design.

The artists behind the Pan-Pac Expo coins are Charles Barber, sixth Chief Engraver of the US Mint, and Assistant Engraver George Morgan. As was typical for most coins/medals when a joint design project, Barber, as Chief Engraver, took on the responsibility for the coin's obverse design and assigned the reverse to Morgan, his assistant.

Barber's obverse design presents an allegorical figure of Columbia - the personification of the United States - seated on a hippocampus - a fictitious animal that dates to the times of Greek mythology; a hippocampus was said to be an animal that combined the front quarters of a horse with the body and tail of a fish. Columbia is also shown holding a caduceus in her left hand which is meant to represent the medical triumph achieved over yellow fever that enabled the Panama Canal to be be built/completed.

Morgan's reverse design depicts an eagle, striding to the left, on a pedestal with its wings elevated but not fully extended. The motto "E PLURIBUS UNUM" presented on the pedestal's plaque was making its co-debut on US commemorative coinage (it simultaneously appeared for the first time on the Pan-Pac Expo $50 gold coins).

These classically-influenced designs, however, were replacements for those that had been under development by the artist recommended for the Pan-Pac Expo coins by the Commission of Fine Arts - Evelyn Beatrice Longman.

Ms. Longman, of New York, was the artist originally selected to design the Panama-Pacific Gold Quarter Eagle coin. She had prepared initial sketches for her designs and was said to be in Washington, DC to discuss them (presumably with the Treasury Department). She took seriously ill during the trip, however, and had to withdraw from the project; the Barber/Morgan team took over the assignment and created the designs with which we are familiar. (See What If? 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition Gold $2.50 for more details.)

The Public Law that authorized the coin called for up to 10,000 of the gold Quarter Eagles. The Mint struck 10,017 (17 for assay purposes) of the coins at the San Francisco Branch Mint in June 1915; the coin includes the "S" mint mark within its obverse design. As with the Pan-Pac Expo gold dollar coins, sales did not reach the level of "sell out" and the Mint has reported melting 3,251 returned coins.

The designs on the Pan-Pac Expo Quarter Eagle have never given me the same sense of artistic achievement as the program's gold dollar and $50 gold coins, they seem rather pedestrian in comparison (especially the reverse) - at least to my eyes.

The coins were initially sold at the Exposition for $4.00 each; less than the double-face charged for the gold dollar coin, but still a difficult "sell" at the time.

Panama-Pacific International Exposion Gold Quarter Eagle

For other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, including more on the other coins of the Pan-Pac Expo set, see: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70169 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must say I've never found that eagle very majestic.
Learn More...
United States
114715 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7917 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I must say I've never found that eagle very majestic.

Agree with you frog - but still it's a coin I'm looking to add to my collection someday.

@ commems - I recall your What If featuring Evelyn Beatrice Longman and agree that this coin would likely have been completed with less traditional elements with somehow more modern feeling. It's a shame we never had the opportunity to see what she would have come up with.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3037 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an eagle on a mission...don't mess with it.

KK
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 136Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: