Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1824 Capped Bust Half Dollar Overdate Variety

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 458Next Topic  
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  4:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kevboe11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just purchased this half dollar yesterday, the price was right. When I looked it up, to my surprise, there are 24bi believe, separate overdates recognized by PCGS.
Further inspection of the coin I bought certainly looks like something is going on in and under the 4.
I know nothing about these halves. This is only the second one I have. Any info or insight to the respected variety would be appreciated.
I originally thought it was a 1824/1, but my coin doesn't really look like any of the listed 1824/1 varieties. Thank you in advance.

Pillar of the Community
United States
819 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a variety of this date listed as 1824 over various dates. Yours appears to be 1824 over 4 type 2.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the 1824/4 recut 4 O-110, with a rarity of R-2. Both of the 1824/1 overdates have a close 24 in the date, the numerals are almost touching. The recut 4 varieties are much more common than the 1824/1 overdates.
Pillar of the Community
United States
819 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it but then again I like all bust coinage! How much did it cost?
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevboe11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I paid $80 and it's in a PCI slab. Never heard of them.
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevboe11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What would the value be you think. PCI graded it at a VF 30. I really think, and they guy that sold it, it is under graded. Thoughts?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin looks like an XF-AU details cleaned. I am leaning toward AU. Strike is on the weaker side. From the top of my head, I think someone would pay $100 for the coin.
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevboe11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will consider this a score. PCGS lists this variety at EF 45 for $425 and AU 55 for $1250, huge spread. I only paid $80 so score! Looking at the photograde pictures it is def more in line with AU details than VF details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
819 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way to Go Dude! Cleaned or not it has nice eye appeal to me and for $80, I'd go after one all day. And I think it displays XF details.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 458Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: