Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Greek" Bronze Patina Shows White Metal Underneath - Fake?

 
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 298Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
89 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  12:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gerio2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this for ú2 just out of interest to find out what it was.
It arrived oily. But the oil left had light brown stains on the tissue wrapping it. That made me wonder.
I could see a slight silver glint in parts on the obv and the reverse had the same feel as a fake I bought early on in my collecting.
I rubbed it a bit (no need to worry about damage at that price) and more white metal appeared.
The close up is taken with my phone through a 10x lens.

Its quite heavy though. 21mm diam, 5.7 grams.
2% chance it's dirty silver (its def not lead), 98% it's fake.

Thoughts anyone?

Photos:
1 & 2 as advertised
3 As it arrived - silvery highlights visible
4. After rubbing - more visible
5. Close up through a 10x lens




Pillar of the Community
United States
6434 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Putting aside the authenticity issue for now, the coin resembles an AE issue from Synnada, Phrygia, with Zeus obverse, and for the reverse: poppy and grain ear, between the caps (pilei) of the Dioscori.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
89 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerio2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Putting aside the authenticity issue for now, the coin resembles an AE issue from Synnada, Phrygia,
Yes, you are clearly right. Thanks!
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=144239

So I ask myself why anyone would bother forging that, it is it a forgery.
Or is it real?
Mine is the same diam (21mm)
My wt 5.69 gm to the example's 7.55 gm but my flan is much thicker on one side than the other and more worn so that might account for the lost weight. Most other examples are c.7 gm but I have found one at 6.5 gm.

Edited by gerio2
08/10/2022 3:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6434 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may have discovered the first "reverse fouree"!

I recommend continuing to clean away whatever you suspect has been applied, just to see what the surface below looks like. With some of the dark material removed, get a good look at the edge to see if there may be signs of casting. Could be that somebody created light-colored metal cast (e.g. tin), then tried to make it look AE to match the source material. But, again, one step at a time. Recommend removing the "make-up".
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 298Next Topic  
 
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.





Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: