Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Got $100 In Pennies, Gonna Have Some Fun!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 602Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
915 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  9:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I collect Canadian coins and about 10 years ago, after they stopped making pennies, I purchased 2 sets of $100 pennies from a guy in Niagara. They were bank rolls and contained dozens of King George VI and early QE2 versions. Of course out of the 20,000 pennies there were a hundred or so US pennies as well.

Over the last 10 years I was able to visit Canada a couple more times but of course the pennies were gone and when I saw some in a cashier's drawer most of the time they would not sell them to me so I came back with very few. I still find them in change here in the US from time to time.

Several years ago I asked a friend who splits his time between NS and Chicago if he could get some and he was able to scrounge out 4 $25 boxes from a couple banks. I just got them yesterday as I had moved, he had a new job and we were unable to connect until now.

So far I only opened one box, about half are in clear plastic reusable rollers and half in rolled up paper. Most of those were in a weird tissue-type paper, very thin with diamond-shaped holes in it. A couple were in more traditional paper rolls.

I opened 2 of the plastic rollers and glanced thru them. In one I found a 1946 KGVI and several of the 50's and 60's QE2 effigy. I also found a single US penny in the rolls.

I won't be able to really root thru the rest until I get back home in a couple weeks but it promises to be fun!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9287 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun awaits. Hoping for the best.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46437 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
509 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck

I'm really envious of you guys, here in the UK there's nothing older than the 70s in circulation so rarely find anything exciting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
915 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't wait until I get home so went thru the first box. During a cursory run thru I found the following:

84 US Memorial Cents
2 Wheats
4 Canadian dimes (2 68's, a 74 and a 96)
7 KG-VI pennies
6 Centennial 67 pennies

The other 3 boxes might get run thru this week. When I get home in a couple weeks I will give them a more thorough search and sort by year and check for errors and conditions.

Some of the roughly 30,000 non-special Canadian pennies I have might end up as my office floor one day, I want to lay them out and cover with epoxy. I was thinking half US and half Canadian would be pretty cool. on the floor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
915 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2022  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, so I went thru all 4 boxes in a cursory way for now.

Box 1 you have already seen the results.
Box 2 will have to wait. I lost the notes but they should pop up when I get home. As I recall it was pretty much what would be expected, a few KG-VI, a couple Confederations and a bunch of American's.

Box 3 had 472 US Memorial pennies and 1 US Shield penny. There were 3 King George (46, 47, 52), 3 Confederations and 4 US Wheats (44D, 48D, 51 and 58D.

Box 4 was interesting. There were 399 US Memorials including one roll that was ALL US pennies. There were 2 US wheats, 8 Confederations and 11 KG-VI. One roll had 6 of the Confederations and 10 of the KG-VI's, all of the rest were in the 50's and 60's only. It (like most if not all of the rolls) were CWR's, and most in this box had customer names and phone numbers (Area Code 902 of course).

I have the boxes packed and they should arrive home in a few weeks where they will be sorted more thoroughly and assimilated into my horde.
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 602Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: