Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada 1891 Large Cent Variety Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,269Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2470 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2022  8:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not familiar with the series - help appreciated. Large leaves/small leaves, large date/small date, obverse type?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2022  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obv 3, SDSL with the RP T in GRATIA.
http://www.victoriancent.com

2011 Fred Bowman Award Winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson Award Winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca Award Winner
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2470 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2022  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! One of the less common ones. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4625 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2022  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree SL/SD Obv 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2470 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2022  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know we're not in the grading forum, but this looks like it'll grade G something, I think? So this would be like... a $60 coin? (according to my 10 year old catalogue)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4625 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-8 in Trends is $90 Canadian, But not sure if it's VG or G. Anyway, you should be able to get about 30-40% of Trends from a collector who needs one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2470 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2022  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do things typically sell for that far below Trends, even directly to a collector? Is it only because this is a low grade coin?
Or is this a recent trend following the pandemic because everyone went and sold?

It's been almost three years since I last looked at coins and I've forgotten so much.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4625 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My feeling, and that of many others, is that dealers set the prices that appear in Trends. To that end, we think that the listed price is "Gee, I hope that I can get this much for some coins in my inventory!" If you sell to a collector, then you MIGHT get 50-60% of Trends but, at most shows, from an honest friendly dealer, you can buy coins (not rarities or grade scarcity) for around 70% of Trends. And he needs to make a profit. You can't sell any coin to a book or guide, you need someone with a wallet.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2470 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understood. Thanks okie!
Valued Member
Canada
475 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"then you MIGHT get 50-60% of Trends" Okie can you expand a little on Trends. When dealers claim a coin for sale is less than the trends are they referring simply to recent auction prices or is it more inclusive than that?
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,269Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: