Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1997 Close AM Penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 299Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  05:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add flatwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a coin microscope and the closeness of the AM is readily apparent in the images. Unfortunately, the resolution is too high for me to post. Hoping someone can give me an opinion on these. I am not tech savvy, so keep in mind I did the best I could. Hope this works.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8048 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Yes - that is a Close AM ( CAM), which is the expected normal reverse for this year in circulation strike cents. It joins 4.6 Billion others that were minted that year.

The WAM variety you are searching for in circulation strike cents occurs in 1998, 1999 and 2000 dated Philadelphia mint cents. Keep looking.

edit to correct the variety designation
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
09/21/2022 05:27 am
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flatwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought I did the exact same thing for each photograph. Naturally, I screwed it up. Unbelievable.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flatwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nickelsearcher,

Thank you for the response! So, there are only 4.6 billion more of these out there? Ha! Ah, well, I'm a newbie. Appreciate the advice, and I mean that sincerely.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46485 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Close AM is normal for the year.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71607 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1787 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickelsearcher, you need to edit your post to WAM for 98, 99 ,20.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11022 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Flatwater, if you were to click on the blue link of CAM, WAM, Close AM (any of these will pop up a nice graphic of what to look for when it comes to searching out these varieties.)
Edited by Dearborn
09/20/2022 7:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9216 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spend time reading past posts here on CCF and learn exactly what you're looking for. We'll help along the way.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you click this link below, you will see that the 'normal' reverse as mentioned for the 1997 P (which has no mint mark) is a CAM ( Close AM). The US minted the 1997 penny with no mint mark and also the 1997 D penny and 1997 S proof penny found in special sets. The mint mark, when present, can be found on the obverse (front side where Lincoln is). The normal reverse for the D is also a CAM, while the normal reverse on the 'S' mentions its a WAM ( Wide AM) and there are no varieties that are known to be found for this year. If you look under variety, you will see that a few such as 1992, 1998, 1999, and 2000 do have varieties to look for, and so you may come across the normal reverse for that year and mintmark found on most coins, or a variety reverse for those years and mintmarks which has some added value.

https://www.coincommunity.com/us_sm...oln_cent.asp

There are books such as Strike It Rich with pocket change 5th edition that also list some of these type of varieties to look for which can help keep you from wasting a lot of time of what to search for.
Edited by datadragon
09/20/2022 10:50 pm
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flatwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all of you for your responses and guidance! Really appreciate it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8048 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nickelsearcher, you need to edit your post to WAM for 98, 99 ,20.

Done - just made it under the 24 hour edit limit. Thanks for the heads up.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 299Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: