Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1987 Quarter Possible Clad Layer Missing?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 417Next Topic  

United States
27 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  12:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dcjbiggie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
im not sure at all. could this be post mint damage like paint or actually missing the clad layer? you can't really tell in the photo but the rim is normal "shinyness"also weighs 5.56g

Edited by Dcjbiggie
09/21/2022 12:50 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The answer is NO.
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcjbiggie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silviosi I asked if this was post mint damage. you replied "the answer is NO" maybe you were too quick to reply to my post with negativity and didn't take the time to read what I wrote. Either way, a quick explanation or simple "this is rust" would suffice. this is a friendly community for the most part. I think responses like this are not needed.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  02:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I will answer you more detailed as you like.

Quote:
actually missing the clad layer?

I answered you to this question, which was the main request.

What you has it is a man made simulation of the Mint error. So it is no error from the Mint.

You state I am not sure if it is post Mint or Mint error. Two different topics, and I answer to what we look for or it is valuable for any kind of collectors.

Sorry if I was not clear. I receive so many requests for quarters, and sorry is possible I miss some time the direction of the question.

All my best

Bedrock of the Community
United States
46485 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  03:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dcjbiggie,
Your coin looks lie environmental damage to me, not missing clad layers.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10935 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  05:41 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your coin looks lie environmental damage to me, not missing clad layers.

Looks like a typical metal detector find.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71609 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And as to the missing reeding?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6150 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And as to the missing reeding?

Most likely was a slot machine coin at one time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59536 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the coin was missing the cladding, then the color would be red.

The color of the red on the outside edge of the clad coin. With the dull finish on your coin is looks like it was around something acidic. altered, but not enough to remove the clad. If the clad were missing, the design below the clad would be ghost like:

Note it the clad was peeled off the coin? The design is weaker under the cladding. Someone peeled this clad off of the coin. It may have been worth a lot more if the cladding was intact?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
09/21/2022 5:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3615 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

A Washington quarter with a missing clad layer will be about a gram underweight. Because of this, the strike tends to be weak. While a few clad coins with both clad layers missing have been certified, they are very, very rare. Only a dozen or so examples are know.

Here's a missing clad Washington quarter from my collection. Note the shallow rims and weak strike on both sides. The obverse still has some really nice luster.

Click the picture for a larger image
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1787 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The missing reeds could be the start of a spooned coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 417Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: