Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1959 P Wheat Cent Rarity Question

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 669Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

67 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  09:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jsb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just how Rare could this coin be ?
I know of a 1959-D mule but a 1959-P ?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18129 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  09:45 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If real, it would be extremely rare....especially in a proof.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
67 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jsb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is what I think too. I looked up the cert on NGC and the pictures match. It sold for under $20. I should have had my max bid higher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
813 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! that certainly is unique and the first time I have heard of this.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well thats very interesting, and needs to be investigated further. One thing is for certain, the 1959-D Mule cent is definitely one of the most controversial coins in numismatics. So, is the 1959-d found real or fake? No one really knows for sure. However, it is curious that after 50 years, only one coin is known to exist. The odds of only one coin being discovered after all this time makes it very difficult to imagine, since a coin press operates so fast and usually strikes more than just one coin. If you ask any coin expert who really understands the coin minting process, most will agree that the coin is not an authentic mint-made coin. https://www.PCGS.com/News/The-Myste...Lincoln-Cent
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3615 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to call a 'No Way' on this one. I think that NGC got their images wrong.

ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
813 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin and pics are in the NGC registry so the numbers are valid. Odd that they wouldn't mention a muled variety or error on the label. And to value it at $30 seems obscene if this is a true muled die error.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the ebay sale which shows the same wheat reverse in the images of the sale @Yoko: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284960391778 If they used stock NGC image and it was wrong image somehow for the reverse that is possible so I sent the seller a message asking if he can verify the actual coin has a wheat reverse instead of memorial prior to sending to the winner if possible to start.

@MisterT You have to pay additional to attribute a variety or error and some of the graders may not even know about or think to look for some rare errors or varieties otherwise during normal grading I would imagine.
Edited by datadragon
09/21/2022 1:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"That is what I think too. I looked up the cert on NGC and the pictures match. It sold for under $20. I should have had my max bid higher."

.... Wait, you actually knew about this?!?! I'da thrown $20 at it. If another one comes up (& it never will), let me know, I'll buy it.
Valued Member
67 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jsb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really doubt NGC would do something like that.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71607 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So tell us, @jsb, how did you come up with that image pair to begin with?
Valued Member
67 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jsb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From both the eBay Listing and NGC Lookup
Valued Member
67 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11021 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that NGC possibly mixed up the images for this. If you look at the images (very carefully) from eBay and from NGC - you will see that the seller used the exact images taken from the NGC site. So using the sellers pictures is a mute point.
On NGC's site there is a disclaimer stating

Quote:
If the information displayed above is incorrect or does not match the coin you are verifying, or if you believe that you have a counterfeit or tampered NGC holder, please contact service@NGCcoin.com. To learn more about counterfeit or tampered NGC holders, click here.

So by this statement, NGC acknowledge that errors can occur. As I believe that this is the case here.
Obverse images - eBay on left, NGC on right.

Reverse images - eBay on left, NGC on right.
Edited by Dearborn
09/22/2022 12:19 am
Valued Member
67 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jsb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I contacted NGC via their contact form, waiting for a response.
Valued Member
67 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jsb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC has confirmed that the images were incorrect on their site and fixed them. I guess that eBay auction winner isn't going to be very happy.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 669Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: