Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Commemorative Coin Series: Quick Bits #80 - First Lynchburg, VA Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 191Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8271 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  1:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Senator Carter Glass was the recipient of the first Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial half dollar struck; his portrait, of course, appears on the obverse side of the coin. Glass was given the coin at a brief ceremony by long-time friend and Secretary of the Senate Edwin A. Halsey on October 14, 1936 as part of Lynchburg's 150th Anniversary celebrations; Glass and Halsey each trace their roots to Lynchburg, VA.

As part of the coin presentation, Halsey stated:

Lynchburg, in searching for one to forcefully symbolize the salient features of our city, has chosen you, Senator Glass. Through your endeavors for the establishment of the Federal Reserve System and your initiative and cooperation in the enactment of banking laws, stabilized currency has become universal. Your governmental services have been a credit to your State and country.

Secretary of the Senate Colonel Edwin A. Halsey

(Image Credit: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division. 1938. Public Domain.)

Halsey began a long career of working (in non-elected positions) in the Senate in 1897 when he started as a page at the age of 16 in the Senate Press Gallery. He progressed to being a supervisor of pages in the Gallery as well as on the Senate Floor. He eventually became the Democratic Party Secretary (a post created for him) and ultimately Secretary of the Senate (1933-1945).

Senator Carter Glass at Occasion of 80th Birthday

(Image Credit: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division. 1938. Public Domain.)

Senator Glass is shown with his son, Carter Glass, Jr. and granddaughter Nancy Carter Boatwright, in January 1938.

Glass had a long and illustrious history in the US Federal Government. He was elected to the US House of Representatives in 1902 and served until 1918 (after eight consecutive re-elections), he resigned in 1918 to become the Secretary of the Treasury (1918-1920) within the Woodrow Wilson administration. He resigned as Secretary to be appointed a Senator from Virginia to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Thomas Martin. Glass was re-elected to four consecutive six-year terms, and ultimately served in Washington, DC from February 2, 1902 until his death on May 28, 1946.

For other of my topics on commemorative coins and medals, including more on the history and design of the Lynchburg half dollar, see: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
09/22/2022 2:00 pm
Learn More...
United States
116424 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating! I now understand why he was featured on this release.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1141 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, commems! It's always interesting to learn a bit about the people featured on some of the classic commemorative issues, particularly the ones like Senator Glass who are now unfamiliar to many (or most) Americans.
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71801 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good stuff, thanks as always.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8080 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you commems - I now have a much deeper understanding of who Senator Glass was.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 191Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: