Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Coin Of Rudolf II For Identification (Id: Early 17th Century 1/ 2 Adlerschilling Nijmegen)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 382Next Topic  
Valued Member

South Africa
136 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  06:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mikehy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

Would appreciate it if this coin could be identified for me.

It is silver - XRF analyser show it at over 91% silver.

Weight is 2.9 grams. Diameter on North South axis is 30 mm and same for the East West axis.

Was informed this coin rescued from a ship wreck.

Any info regarding this coin would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for any help I will receive regarding this.

Mikehy

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1205 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is from Nijmegen, in today's Netherlands. It is minted by Rudolf II, Holy Roman Emperor, during the 1st decade of the 1600s (I can read 16 to the left at the top of the reverse, then 0 to the right and the last digit I can't make out). I don't know what denomination it is and I have not found another one exactly like this on the internet. Rare, possibly? Someone more versed with these coins may chime in.

Here are the full inscriptions anyway:

RVDOL II D G ELEC RO IMP SEM AVGVS (Rudolphus II Dei Gratia Electus Romanorum Imperator Semper Augustus, translated: Rudolf II by Grace of God Elected Emperor of the Romans, forever Monarch)

[MO] ARG IMPERI CIVI NOVIMAG (Moneta Argentea Imperialis Civitatis Noviomagus, translated: Silver Money of Imperial City of Nijmegen)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5571 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I really should know this one, but it is a bit obscure.

Best guess is 1/2 "Adlerschilling" (eagle schilling) of Gelderland, Nijmegen mint, as pointed out by @erafjel.
https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...=NETHERLANDSŽion=GELDERLAND+-+NIJMEGEN&denom=1/2+Arendschelling&date=&catalogInitials=&catalogNumber=
A photo of the larger schilling: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2742452

I am trying to find the diameter of these two types, and will update this post if it more likely to be the adlerschilling.

Edit: Schillings were about 30 mm in size in this part of the world around 1600, but would have started at 5 - 6 g. (Link to a shilling from the same time of Holland: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces18947.html). So I am not sure if this is a 1/2 schilling on a large planchet, or a schilling with reduced weight due to some combination of clipping and corrosion.
As for this being a shipwreck coin, the surfaces look quite good (smooth, no pitting), which would be unusual for this kind of history.
Edited by tdziemia
10/05/2022 4:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1205 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought you might have some ideas about this one, @tdziemia, glad you chimed in.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5571 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somehow the link to the online Krause reference was corrupted, so I will try again:
https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...duid-1434938
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 382Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: