Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

TPG Price Guides Difference

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 782Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
763 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2022  11:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know that the TPG price guides are generally higher than Greysheet, but they're free, so I still look at them just to get a general idea of coin values when I'm shopping. Anyway, I happened on a coin that's valued at $580 by NGC and $775 by PCGS. That's quite a price difference, and BOTH prices are actually higher than the most recent auction prices for the coin (PCGS's auction values are more up to date, and actually INCLUDE the coin I'm looking at, which the seller apparently bought last month for $516).

I'm just wondering if anyone can explain why the two TPG's have such different values based on more or less the same auction data. Also, does Greysheet use additional data, like maybe reported sales prices from dealers?

Also, do you guys recommend picking up a single issue of Greysheet from time to time? I gather that if you want to subscribe (for a LOT lot of money) you can also get their wholesale prices, but the price is way more than I'm willing to spend.
Learn More...
United States
120433 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2022  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Price guides are created from examining the market for recent sales. I believe the TPGs will only examine the sales of coins in their own slabs. Since people will generally pay more for their prestige, those prices will often be higher. The Greysheet is dealer driven, so I think those values are going to track lower regardless of the coin's status (raw versus slabbed).

Personally, I use NumisMedia to augment the TPG price guides, as well as looking for recent sales on eBay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
763 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2022  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS does include NGC-graded coins (my guess is because the coins they graded tend to bring higher auction prices). NGC only tells you what the coins they graded brought. Thanks for mentioning Numismedia—I've looked at their values but wasn't sure how confident I should be in their info.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48358 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2022  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numismedia and eBay sold values
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5676 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2022  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Price guides cover so much material that they cannot be updated monthly -- and that includes the Greysheet.

The Red Book of course is the worst.
Its values are out of date by the time the new issue hits the sales counter -- probably by a year to 1½ years.

I use the Greysheet and auction results.
eBay is the easiest to check but make sure you use the "Advanced" option in the upper right and then select the "Sold" option.
But other auction sites (Heritage, Stack's, Great Collections, etc.) give access to their auction results.

I believe the Greysheet has a subscription for 4 issues a year.
Monthly issues are not necessary for most collectors.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20586 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2022  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only use price guides for comparative values between coins in the same price guide issue.
For this purpose, old price guide books can still be useful.
I still use my Charlton 1970 edn for Canadian coins!

If I am not considering to buy,
the old Krause catalogs with their photographs can be essential for identifying World coins, as well as providing a lead to investigate the current pricing.

For current pricing, I use whatever current or near current pricing I can find on the 'net, that may be useful,
For example, CoinArchives is good for ancient coins, but TPG not really relevant.
Pillar of the Community
United States
763 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, I meant to ask and I see I didn't. Every so often (like once a year maybe) I'll buy a copy of Coin Week or another coin magazine, and they usually have values. Are those any good?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20586 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly current pricing guides are more accurate than my 1970 edition of Charlton, but the comparative pricing between entries within the catalog still have some relevancy.

I do current pricing research on every coin of significant value that I may consider to buy, before even looking at it.

Year old pricing guides in printed form are OK for coins in the $1 to $1000 range, but public auction records (on which the printed guides are based), are more recent, and therefore should give a better idea of current market conditions
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This might have been already mentioned in this thread but most all printed prices of a particular coin ,date , MM and grade are not the same . Why because Pricing is as subjective as grading . Also a said price of a particular coin is basically the price anyone is willing to pay for that coin . Hope I made Cents with this , just my opinions !
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
5676 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2022  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the Greysheet.
I don't need the monthly edition.
There is a nice "4 issues a year" option.
Plenty good for my purposes.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chirrrs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those of you who haven't used numismedia or who haven't paid much attention to feature updates, they now have historical pricing charts that go back to 2010.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4495 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We use the Greysheet . The $499 a year is well worth it if you are
active in the US market .
Pillar of the Community
United States
694 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
graysheet = wholesale
PCGS = retail
NGC = retail

they are all just guides. there are coins that I wont buy for a fraction of their prices and others I would pay multiple times their listed prices.
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4495 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely agree !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1217 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greysheet FTW!
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 782Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: