Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do Canadian Banks Still Accept 50 Cent Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,349Next Topic  

Canada
1 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2022  05:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add itsme239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm very curious on this topic as I've always wondered what happens to these coins when people try to turn them in. they aren't UNNACEPTABLE from most businesses per se but I still wonder what happens to coins that are uncirculated but not un-usable
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48578 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2022  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2022  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The increasing frequency with which some businesses refuse to work with cash is odd. I mean, I get it, but the service charges associated with credit cards surely add up. And more to the point, any coins or bills produced by the mint are legal tender everywhere in the country. I don't really understand the reasoning behind not taking them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4644 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2022  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stores won't take them because they've never seen one, same with nickel dollars. I get a $250 bag of mostly UNC nickel dollars and 50 cent pieces at the beginning of every golf season. They are strictly used for tips to the cart girls or patio people for beer tips ... they absolutely love them, though at first they don't know what they are. Some who have worked at the club for 4-5 years have scores of them and they compare dates and trade. Banks take them no problem.
Valued Member
Canada
478 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2022  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian Banks absolutely accept all legal tender, including 50C pieces.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6229 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2022  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I take $1 and $.50 cent coins to the bank all the time. I do try and take them ($1 to $2 hundred) to a bank that is in another town 4 hours away so that I don't get them back when looking for new ones.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4504 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2022  09:09 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Our Chartered Bank takes them for deposit no questions .
Our Credit Union , not a chance . After checking into it
they are under no obligation to accept them either .
We don't like handling them when we buy collections
and either pass and tell the seller to bank them or for the
AGRO pay 80 per cent of face and accumulate then til
there is enough to spend 10 dollars a gallon to go to the bank .
Strictly speaking they are an absolute pain to deal with .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1101 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2022  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put a bunch in 2X2's this hallowe'en and gave them out instead of candy, they get plenty of candy by the look of their bags.

Cheers, Bill
Learn More...
Canada
10315 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2022  11:46 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I put a bunch in 2X2's this hallowe'en and gave them out instead of candy, they get plenty of candy by the look of their bags.

Bill, I absolutely love that! Sowing the seeds for a new generation of collectors.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2022  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Notatzaddik to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This reminded me that about 15 years ago my wife went into the US Mint store in DC to buy some rolls of new nickels. She went to pay with Sacagawea dollar coins and they refused. She asked for a supervisor and kindly explained that you made them, you take them--they finally did. Unbelievable but true.
Valued Member
Canada
315 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2022  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 2 denominations have not been demonetized so they valid tender...but no bank or merchant technically has to accept any tendered currency.
That said the biggest problem is that most tellers are not aware that there are 50 cent coins or nickel dollar coins
Also here I have not had difficulty depositing or cashing those coins (although I tend to buy them far more often than sell them ) but I am known to tellers and managers where I bank
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1110 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2022  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hounddog Bill, what a great idea, cudo's. Hope you don't get tooo many kids.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
728 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2022  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CIBC will not take nickel dollars or halves.
Learn More...
United States
120816 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can also try swapping them on Numista.com

I find that they're very popular with other collectors
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,349Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: