Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883 S Morgan Anomaly Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 488Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2022  3:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GEdward to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have recently inherited some coins and I have one in particular that has an anomaly that I have not seen on any other example of Morgan dollar regardless of year or mint. I am hoping someone in this forum can explain what I have.

The photo is from the obverse side of a 1883 S. The anomaly is the 4, actually 5 as the very top one is quite small, flourishes behind the head dress and the hair bun.
Thanks, Ed
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2022  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GEdward, it would be nice if you could post an image of the entire obverse. Reverse too, while you're at it. This allows for better determination of what is going on with your coin.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2022  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GEdward to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point. I was having trouble resizing my photos to get under the rather small 300Kb limit.

I will get a photo of the reverse shortly.
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2022  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VAMsforMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD scrape. Not in the die, otherwise known as damage to the coin.
Edited by VAMsforMoney
11/19/2022 3:42 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2022  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GEdward to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if it is damage to the coin, it sure has an artistic flair to it. Regardless, I said I'd post a pic of the reverse so here that is.

I'm guessing that the damage was intentional even if it was not in the die.
Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75006 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2022  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd grade this EF-45 with below-average appeal because of multiple obverse hits.

to the CCF!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2022  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GEdward to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coinfrog and VAMsforMoney. Your opinion is much appreciated. I was hoping that perhaps a rogue die maker had a little artistic "say" in one of his creations and added a little extra flourish for as long as the die lasted.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3779 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2022  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

The mark in question looks to have been caused by contact with the reeded edge of another coin. That's why it looks so uniform in nature. It also looks like the second coin was drawn down and rotated slightly. I don't think it was intentional, just a circulation hit or bag mark.
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2022  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4353 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2022  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is with what looks to be a hole over the wing
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2022  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GEdward to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a spot of tarnish. It is smooth but I hesitate to clean it. If someone knows what the best practice is for dealing with it I am all ears.

Thanks
Learn More...
United States
120560 Posts
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted Today  5H 53M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the spot is organic, a drop of CLR on it should clear it up
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 488Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: